Kevin Towers is shacking up with the Yankees

Jan 7, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT

Any of you ever had to pay alimony?  And watched your ex move in with some rich flame? But they don’t get married, and even though you’re making minimum wage and he/she is eating steaks every night you still have to cut the check?  Yeah, that’s the Padres and Kevin Towers:

While former San Diego general manager Kevin Towers is expected to work
for the Yankees in the year ahead, he will not be given a formal title;
rather, he will be utilized as a consultant. The title matters, because
Towers is being paid by the Padres for the next year, and if the
Yankees were to give him some bells-and-whistles title, they would be
more at risk to have to pay him out of their own pockets.

Meanwhile the Padres are going on like that recently divorced buddy of yours:

“Hey, I saw Karen last night.”

“Oh, really? Did, did she look good?”

“Um, let’s just forget I mentioned it.”

“Was she with . . .HIM?!

Of course, the Padres dumped him so they shouldn’t be upset.  Not that that ever stops your buddy from going on and on.

1. Jason @ IIATMS - Jan 7, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Is it wrong that I started signing “Movin’ On Up…” when I read this?
    “…to a deee-luxe apartment in the skyyy-y-y-y…”

2. KR - Jan 7, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Presumably he will be giving Cashman private lessons in “How to fleece Theo Epstein”?

3. Aarcraft - Jan 7, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Not neccesarily wrong, Jason, but I still think people would prefer you sign your name, rather than a line from a 70’s sitcom theme song, on the more important documents. Sorry about that, but I couldn’t resist.

4. Jason @ IIATMS - Jan 7, 2010 at 1:35 PM

I tend to sign those:
    “Just sit right back and you’ll hear a tale…”

5. john pileggi - Jan 7, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I would guess it is a sign of how comfortable Cashman is in his job. In the prior Yankee regime, you never hire your possible replacement. Torre, and now Girardi, and Cashman are about as close to stable and constant as there is in baseball.

6. Nannie Lor - Jan 8, 2010 at 9:05 PM

yummmmy:P thx for your tips i’d love to follow you.anyway happy new year ~~~~

7. commercial bridging loans - Feb 10, 2010 at 3:42 AM

But God is truely wise…

8. Lucy Loan - Feb 21, 2010 at 9:10 PM

What do tornadoes, hurricanes and redneck divorces have in common? Someone’s fixin’ to lose a trailer home

9. Marjorie Schemes - Mar 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Great blog, nice to know it To handle yourself, use your head;

10. Marlyse A. Equity - Mar 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM

I agree with you My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you’re ugly too.

11. Marci Bridging - Mar 5, 2010 at 6:39 AM

Me and my friend were arguing about this the other day! Now I know that I was right. lol! The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3170)