Quote of the Day: Murray Chass

Jan 7, 2010, 10:30 AM EST

Murray Chass is one of those guys who will write something one moment that will make you want to pull your hair out, and then the next moment will make a razor-sharp observation, the sort of which that makes so much sense that you’ll wonder why you’ve never heard anyone say it before. He did that in his latest post, when reflecting on Bert Blyleven and Jack Morris’ comments that Andre Dawson deserves to be in the Hall of Fame:

A thought on players’ opinions on which players belong in the Hall of
Fame: Before they get in, they think many players should be in; once
they are in, they don’t think any more players should get in.

I’d say that the only exception to that is the Big Red Machine Reds who think every one of their teammates, right down to Cesar Geronimo and Ed Armbrister, belong in Cooperstown.  Otherwise Chass is spot-on.

1. GimmeSomeSteel - Jan 7, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Re: the “Big Red Machine”–You forgot Darrel Chaney and Bill Plummer. Oddly enough, this inclusiveness seems to extend only to the non-pitchers. I don’t hear any love for Jack Billingham, Gary Nolan, Will McEnaney, or Rawly Eastwick.
    There is one hitter on that team who is not universally loved by the others, some guy named Rose. I don’t think Mr. Bench will be displeased if Pete never gets elected.

2. Ryan - Jan 7, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Isn’t it really this way with any exclusive club though? The “You should only allow in enough people to include me, but not the guy in line behind me” line of thinking applies here.

3. Handwasher - Jan 7, 2010 at 11:36 AM

I like to think I’d be of the Groucho Marx line of reasoning: “I don’t want to belong to any club that would allow people like me in.”

4. Chipmaker - Jan 7, 2010 at 11:49 AM

And yet Santo topped the 2009 HOF VC post-1942 players ballot with 39 votes. That wasn’t enough, but it was over 60% of the 64 ballots cast. Kaat got 38, Oliva 33.
    Not ENOUGH players, once in, think anyone else should get in. Which isn’t quite the same thing.

5. JayT - Jan 7, 2010 at 12:18 PM

At his induction ceremony, Ryne Sandberg stumped for Dawson, so I don’t think this is true for everyone.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester