Jan 7, 2010, 2:31 PM EST
Jack Cust knows that it’s hard out there for a DH. According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, he’s about to re-sign with the A’s for $2.5 million with incentives that could take it up to $3 million. He made $2.8 million in 2009.
Cust was non-tendered by the A’s. If he had gone to arbitration he could have received around $4 million or so. Cust has a lifetime .374 OBP and .455 slugging percentage with
an average of 28 homers and 100 walks per 600 plate appearances. The A’s value that — and overlook his strikeouts, baserunning and zero defensive value — more than anyone, so it makes sense for Cust to take their deal, even if it represents something of a pay cut for him.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 0
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 34
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 61
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15