Jan 7, 2010, 2:31 PM EDT
Jack Cust knows that it’s hard out there for a DH. According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, he’s about to re-sign with the A’s for $2.5 million with incentives that could take it up to $3 million. He made $2.8 million in 2009.
Cust was non-tendered by the A’s. If he had gone to arbitration he could have received around $4 million or so. Cust has a lifetime .374 OBP and .455 slugging percentage with
an average of 28 homers and 100 walks per 600 plate appearances. The A’s value that — and overlook his strikeouts, baserunning and zero defensive value — more than anyone, so it makes sense for Cust to take their deal, even if it represents something of a pay cut for him.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 45
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17