Jan 7, 2010, 2:31 PM EDT
Jack Cust knows that it’s hard out there for a DH. According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, he’s about to re-sign with the A’s for $2.5 million with incentives that could take it up to $3 million. He made $2.8 million in 2009.
Cust was non-tendered by the A’s. If he had gone to arbitration he could have received around $4 million or so. Cust has a lifetime .374 OBP and .455 slugging percentage with
an average of 28 homers and 100 walks per 600 plate appearances. The A’s value that — and overlook his strikeouts, baserunning and zero defensive value — more than anyone, so it makes sense for Cust to take their deal, even if it represents something of a pay cut for him.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (211)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)