Jan 7, 2010, 9:30 AM EST
So tweets Marlins beat writer Clark Spencer.
As was reported yesterday, Florida wasn’t really able and/or interested in matching the money Chapman is being offered from the Angels and the Blue Jays. Instead, they were hoping that the home-away-from-home culture of Miami would help lure the young Cuban to south Florida, making up for the lower cash offer.
My guess is that Chapman realized that even if those considerations matter to him, (a) Miami is much nicer between November and February than it is in the middle of summer; and (b) you can get a perfectly good ropa vieja and plantain plate in Toronto or L.A. these days, so like, what’s the point?
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)