Jan 7, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
So tweets Marlins beat writer Clark Spencer.
As was reported yesterday, Florida wasn’t really able and/or interested in matching the money Chapman is being offered from the Angels and the Blue Jays. Instead, they were hoping that the home-away-from-home culture of Miami would help lure the young Cuban to south Florida, making up for the lower cash offer.
My guess is that Chapman realized that even if those considerations matter to him, (a) Miami is much nicer between November and February than it is in the middle of summer; and (b) you can get a perfectly good ropa vieja and plantain plate in Toronto or L.A. these days, so like, what’s the point?
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 65
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (101)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)