Jan 7, 2010, 9:38 PM EDT
Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe backs up this earlier report that the Red Sox are still in the mix for Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman. He also reports that the Yankees are out, and the Marlins have bowed out as well. For those of you keeping score, that leaves the Blue Jays and Angels – along with the Red Sox, as reportedly in the mix.
Also buried in Abraham’s story is this nugget about Chien-Ming Wang:
In an unrelated matter, Chien-Ming Wang traveled from Taiwan to get examined again by
Dr. James Andrews and the reports on his right shoulder were positive. Wang will not be ready to pitch in spring training, but could join a rotation at some point in May.
The story says Wang has told his friends he is ready to move on from the Yankees, which is probably a wise attitude for him to have.
He’s coming off injury, won’t be ready optimistically until May, and really hasn’t been whole since 2007. I’m sure he’ll attract some interest out there, though it will be tepid bargain-hunting at best until the injury situation becomes more clear.
Are we sure this guy is only 29?
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)