Jan 7, 2010, 9:38 PM EDT
Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe backs up this earlier report that the Red Sox are still in the mix for Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman. He also reports that the Yankees are out, and the Marlins have bowed out as well. For those of you keeping score, that leaves the Blue Jays and Angels – along with the Red Sox, as reportedly in the mix.
Also buried in Abraham’s story is this nugget about Chien-Ming Wang:
In an unrelated matter, Chien-Ming Wang traveled from Taiwan to get examined again by
Dr. James Andrews and the reports on his right shoulder were positive. Wang will not be ready to pitch in spring training, but could join a rotation at some point in May.
The story says Wang has told his friends he is ready to move on from the Yankees, which is probably a wise attitude for him to have.
He’s coming off injury, won’t be ready optimistically until May, and really hasn’t been whole since 2007. I’m sure he’ll attract some interest out there, though it will be tepid bargain-hunting at best until the injury situation becomes more clear.
Are we sure this guy is only 29?
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 2
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 38
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 59
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 70
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 30
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)