Jan 7, 2010, 9:38 PM EDT
Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe backs up this earlier report that the Red Sox are still in the mix for Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman. He also reports that the Yankees are out, and the Marlins have bowed out as well. For those of you keeping score, that leaves the Blue Jays and Angels – along with the Red Sox, as reportedly in the mix.
Also buried in Abraham’s story is this nugget about Chien-Ming Wang:
In an unrelated matter, Chien-Ming Wang traveled from Taiwan to get examined again by
Dr. James Andrews and the reports on his right shoulder were positive. Wang will not be ready to pitch in spring training, but could join a rotation at some point in May.
The story says Wang has told his friends he is ready to move on from the Yankees, which is probably a wise attitude for him to have.
He’s coming off injury, won’t be ready optimistically until May, and really hasn’t been whole since 2007. I’m sure he’ll attract some interest out there, though it will be tepid bargain-hunting at best until the injury situation becomes more clear.
Are we sure this guy is only 29?
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)