Jan 7, 2010, 9:38 PM EDT
Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe backs up this earlier report that the Red Sox are still in the mix for Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman. He also reports that the Yankees are out, and the Marlins have bowed out as well. For those of you keeping score, that leaves the Blue Jays and Angels – along with the Red Sox, as reportedly in the mix.
Also buried in Abraham’s story is this nugget about Chien-Ming Wang:
In an unrelated matter, Chien-Ming Wang traveled from Taiwan to get examined again by
Dr. James Andrews and the reports on his right shoulder were positive. Wang will not be ready to pitch in spring training, but could join a rotation at some point in May.
The story says Wang has told his friends he is ready to move on from the Yankees, which is probably a wise attitude for him to have.
He’s coming off injury, won’t be ready optimistically until May, and really hasn’t been whole since 2007. I’m sure he’ll attract some interest out there, though it will be tepid bargain-hunting at best until the injury situation becomes more clear.
Are we sure this guy is only 29?
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)