Jan 7, 2010, 9:38 PM EST
Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe backs up this earlier report that the Red Sox are still in the mix for Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman. He also reports that the Yankees are out, and the Marlins have bowed out as well. For those of you keeping score, that leaves the Blue Jays and Angels – along with the Red Sox, as reportedly in the mix.
Also buried in Abraham’s story is this nugget about Chien-Ming Wang:
In an unrelated matter, Chien-Ming Wang traveled from Taiwan to get examined again by
Dr. James Andrews and the reports on his right shoulder were positive. Wang will not be ready to pitch in spring training, but could join a rotation at some point in May.
The story says Wang has told his friends he is ready to move on from the Yankees, which is probably a wise attitude for him to have.
He’s coming off injury, won’t be ready optimistically until May, and really hasn’t been whole since 2007. I’m sure he’ll attract some interest out there, though it will be tepid bargain-hunting at best until the injury situation becomes more clear.
Are we sure this guy is only 29?
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 178
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (172)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)