Blue Jays offer Chapman $23 million

Jan 8, 2010, 6:00 PM EST

Because I don’t think I’ve mentioned Aroldis Champan since at least breakfast I may as well provide the latest:  The Jays are on top at the moment, having offered him $23 million, according to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com.

The Angels are still reportedly in it, and many who follow the Angels keep bringing up the presence of fellow Cuban Kendry Morales on the roster as a selling point.  I was going along with that a bit too, until I remembered the refrain from Jorge Arangure of ESPN:  “the phrase ‘took less money’ and ‘Aroldis Chapman’ are not going to be used in the same story.” And he says it like he knows it on inside information or something.

Arangure thinks the Red Sox or Yankees will end up winning the derby.  But no matter which team it is, it sounds like they’ll have to beat $23 million.

1. ClementeLegend - Jan 8, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Are the Red Sox and Yankees really interested enough in bidding higher than 23 M?
    That’s the only question.
    If not, he will be in Toronto. This is the one time when MLB execs and reports will be wrong in assuming a player will end up with the two Giants of MLB that reside in the Northeast of America.

2. ClementeLegend - Jan 8, 2010 at 6:46 PM

*obviously referring to Yanks, Sox as the two Giants.

3. I am Providence - Jan 8, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Maybe my brain is a bit fuzzy after a long day, but I’m guessing that it’s not $23 million for a one year contract. Did Mr. Gonzales mention how many years the $23 million was spread over?

4. Old Gator - Jan 8, 2010 at 7:25 PM

For $23mm the Feather Lice could find themselves a couple of serviceable infielders, maybe one or two midlist pitchers whom they already know can throw strikes instead of suborbital flights, and a fulltime psychiatrist to counsel the fans over the Rios debacle. It’s all a matter of scale, of course, but if they do this deal and it blows, they’re going to be hamstrung like the Rangers when they were supporting A-Rod’s case of payroll elephantiasis.
    Now pardon me. I’m going to leave this festering sump of idle speculation, and mush on over to the Dakota to see if Mike and Margo are sitting in tonight.

5. Ryan - Jan 9, 2010 at 10:59 AM

What’s his tax situation like if he signs with a Canadian team?

6. tim - Jan 9, 2010 at 1:42 PM

uh…what?
    how would $5-6 million per year hamstring a team? rios debacle? isn’t that the white sox who need counselling for that? feather lice? are you high?

7. Old Gator - Jan 9, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Am I high? Is Godzilla radioactive?
    Ham strings are getting pretty expensive, along with everything else that eats any grain currently used for ethanol production. Ham hocks are running lower – perhaps because more people are hocking their hams thinking to cash in on the bubble and glutting the market. Ham string futures were well above $5-6 million last time I checked the ticker. Of course, if I was high, I might have just interpolated a few extra zeroes.
    Feather lice. I have seen recent evidence that some dinosaurs actually had feathers, and that their extinction might actually have been caused as much by prion-vectored diseases that demyelinated their cerebellar cortexes (not much of an achievement, considering that there wasn’t a whole lot above a dinosaur’s brain stem anyway – much like, say, a triassic neocon) as by a nemesis asteroid. One never knows, do one?
    My pals in Toronto were threatening to jump out of their sweat lodge windows when the Feather Lice dumped Rios for nothing. I have a certain feeling of solicitude for all things Toronto if only because of my friends, a couple of favorite restaurants, the hot dogs at the Dakota, and most of all because it’s the hometown of the Cowboy Junkies. I just try not to become too paternalistic about it, because as an American – although an expatriate living in Miami – a sense of geopolitical paternalism is expected of me and I prefer to swim against the tide.

8. computer network installation - Jan 23, 2010 at 8:13 PM

I absolutely love this post! absolutely gonna have to put this on the list.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. G. Stanton (5053)