Jan 8, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
Because I don’t think I’ve mentioned Aroldis Champan since at least breakfast I may as well provide the latest: The Jays are on top at the moment, having offered him $23 million, according to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com.
The Angels are still reportedly in it, and many who follow the Angels keep bringing up the presence of fellow Cuban Kendry Morales on the roster as a selling point. I was going along with that a bit too, until I remembered the refrain from Jorge Arangure of ESPN: “the phrase ‘took less money’ and ‘Aroldis Chapman’ are not going to be used in the same story.” And he says it like he knows it on inside information or something.
Arangure thinks the Red Sox or Yankees will end up winning the derby. But no matter which team it is, it sounds like they’ll have to beat $23 million.
- Cliff Lee exits start with apparent arm injury 0
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 125
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (125)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)