Jan 8, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
Because I don’t think I’ve mentioned Aroldis Champan since at least breakfast I may as well provide the latest: The Jays are on top at the moment, having offered him $23 million, according to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com.
The Angels are still reportedly in it, and many who follow the Angels keep bringing up the presence of fellow Cuban Kendry Morales on the roster as a selling point. I was going along with that a bit too, until I remembered the refrain from Jorge Arangure of ESPN: “the phrase ‘took less money’ and ‘Aroldis Chapman’ are not going to be used in the same story.” And he says it like he knows it on inside information or something.
Arangure thinks the Red Sox or Yankees will end up winning the derby. But no matter which team it is, it sounds like they’ll have to beat $23 million.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)