Jan 8, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
Because I don’t think I’ve mentioned Aroldis Champan since at least breakfast I may as well provide the latest: The Jays are on top at the moment, having offered him $23 million, according to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com.
The Angels are still reportedly in it, and many who follow the Angels keep bringing up the presence of fellow Cuban Kendry Morales on the roster as a selling point. I was going along with that a bit too, until I remembered the refrain from Jorge Arangure of ESPN: “the phrase ‘took less money’ and ‘Aroldis Chapman’ are not going to be used in the same story.” And he says it like he knows it on inside information or something.
Arangure thinks the Red Sox or Yankees will end up winning the derby. But no matter which team it is, it sounds like they’ll have to beat $23 million.
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 25
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (185)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)