Jan 8, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
Because I don’t think I’ve mentioned Aroldis Champan since at least breakfast I may as well provide the latest: The Jays are on top at the moment, having offered him $23 million, according to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com.
The Angels are still reportedly in it, and many who follow the Angels keep bringing up the presence of fellow Cuban Kendry Morales on the roster as a selling point. I was going along with that a bit too, until I remembered the refrain from Jorge Arangure of ESPN: “the phrase ‘took less money’ and ‘Aroldis Chapman’ are not going to be used in the same story.” And he says it like he knows it on inside information or something.
Arangure thinks the Red Sox or Yankees will end up winning the derby. But no matter which team it is, it sounds like they’ll have to beat $23 million.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)