Jan 8, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
Because I don’t think I’ve mentioned Aroldis Champan since at least breakfast I may as well provide the latest: The Jays are on top at the moment, having offered him $23 million, according to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com.
The Angels are still reportedly in it, and many who follow the Angels keep bringing up the presence of fellow Cuban Kendry Morales on the roster as a selling point. I was going along with that a bit too, until I remembered the refrain from Jorge Arangure of ESPN: “the phrase ‘took less money’ and ‘Aroldis Chapman’ are not going to be used in the same story.” And he says it like he knows it on inside information or something.
Arangure thinks the Red Sox or Yankees will end up winning the derby. But no matter which team it is, it sounds like they’ll have to beat $23 million.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)