CC Sabathia gets schooled in Yankees trivia

Jan 8, 2010, 1:00 PM EST

They pay him to pitch, not study, but it is rather fun to learn that CC Sabathia got creamed in a game of Yankees trivia by Denzel Washington on the Jay Leno show last night.

I suppose his saving grace is that between the BCS game and the fact that not too many damn people have been watching the Jay Leno show, not too many people saw it.

1. Ross - Jan 8, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Craig, I normally just skip over your typos and grammatical errors, but in this case can you change “not too many damn people” to “not too damn many people”. One is cursing the number of people. One is cursing the people themselves.

2. Craig Calcaterra - Jan 8, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I dunno, Ross. You may be technically correct here, but how would you say it in conversation? Your version doesn’t roll off the tongue as easily. I’ll consider it though.

3. Derek - Jan 8, 2010 at 1:36 PM

@Ross Stop being a pedant. It’s a question of usage, not sense.

4. snArky Vaughn - Jan 8, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I wonder how many players read up on the history of the teams they are brought up in or traded to. I would think players would be more familiar with the history of the team they were a fan of as a kid. Therefore, Denzel’s Yankee knowledge > CC’s.
    What sounds correct?
    “too many damn”
    or
    “too damn many”

5. RobRob - Jan 8, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I think the bigger problem is that “damn” is a verb, not an adjective (or an adverb). Craig should have used “damned”.

6. Jonathan L. - Jan 8, 2010 at 2:05 PM

I don’t know, pedantry is pretty fun.

7. Ross - Jan 8, 2010 at 2:57 PM

1) Words matter, regardless of what Internet Society as a general whole seems to think.
    2) If Craig actually meant to insult the people who watch Leno in its current incarnation, then what he wrote would be correct. It’s just not Craig’s usual style to do so.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4568)