Jan 8, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT
On the occasion of Andre Dawson’s election to the Hall of Fame, Tyler Kepner of the New York Times has a nice story up about the Montreal Expos. Definitely worth checking out. I rarely get too nostalgic about the Expos — in their latter years they were most bothersome competition for my Braves — but it struck me this morning that unless they make a point of researching this kind of thing my kids are never going to know of Les Expos and I find that kind of sad.
Interesting bit from the article: Gary Carter hopes that Andre Dawson goes in as an Cub so that, unlike him, he’ll have an actual living team that can celebrate his career (note: Dawson wants that too). I assume that, regardless of what cap he wears, the Cubs will have an Andre Dawson day next summer and all of that, but Carter’s point is a valid one. The Nats pretend that the Expos never existed. No one save a handful of die hards like Jonah Keri seem to care all that much.
Maybe I’m just turning into an old fogey — what’ll my kids ever care about the Montreal Expos? — but it’s a shame, really.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 3
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 13
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 15
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)