Jan 8, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT
On the occasion of Andre Dawson’s election to the Hall of Fame, Tyler Kepner of the New York Times has a nice story up about the Montreal Expos. Definitely worth checking out. I rarely get too nostalgic about the Expos — in their latter years they were most bothersome competition for my Braves — but it struck me this morning that unless they make a point of researching this kind of thing my kids are never going to know of Les Expos and I find that kind of sad.
Interesting bit from the article: Gary Carter hopes that Andre Dawson goes in as an Cub so that, unlike him, he’ll have an actual living team that can celebrate his career (note: Dawson wants that too). I assume that, regardless of what cap he wears, the Cubs will have an Andre Dawson day next summer and all of that, but Carter’s point is a valid one. The Nats pretend that the Expos never existed. No one save a handful of die hards like Jonah Keri seem to care all that much.
Maybe I’m just turning into an old fogey — what’ll my kids ever care about the Montreal Expos? — but it’s a shame, really.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)