Jan 8, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT
On the occasion of Andre Dawson’s election to the Hall of Fame, Tyler Kepner of the New York Times has a nice story up about the Montreal Expos. Definitely worth checking out. I rarely get too nostalgic about the Expos — in their latter years they were most bothersome competition for my Braves — but it struck me this morning that unless they make a point of researching this kind of thing my kids are never going to know of Les Expos and I find that kind of sad.
Interesting bit from the article: Gary Carter hopes that Andre Dawson goes in as an Cub so that, unlike him, he’ll have an actual living team that can celebrate his career (note: Dawson wants that too). I assume that, regardless of what cap he wears, the Cubs will have an Andre Dawson day next summer and all of that, but Carter’s point is a valid one. The Nats pretend that the Expos never existed. No one save a handful of die hards like Jonah Keri seem to care all that much.
Maybe I’m just turning into an old fogey — what’ll my kids ever care about the Montreal Expos? — but it’s a shame, really.
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 8
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 7
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)