Jan 8, 2010, 8:30 AM EST
On the occasion of Andre Dawson’s election to the Hall of Fame, Tyler Kepner of the New York Times has a nice story up about the Montreal Expos. Definitely worth checking out. I rarely get too nostalgic about the Expos — in their latter years they were most bothersome competition for my Braves — but it struck me this morning that unless they make a point of researching this kind of thing my kids are never going to know of Les Expos and I find that kind of sad.
Interesting bit from the article: Gary Carter hopes that Andre Dawson goes in as an Cub so that, unlike him, he’ll have an actual living team that can celebrate his career (note: Dawson wants that too). I assume that, regardless of what cap he wears, the Cubs will have an Andre Dawson day next summer and all of that, but Carter’s point is a valid one. The Nats pretend that the Expos never existed. No one save a handful of die hards like Jonah Keri seem to care all that much.
Maybe I’m just turning into an old fogey — what’ll my kids ever care about the Montreal Expos? — but it’s a shame, really.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)