Rosenthal: BBWAA membership is too bloated

Jan 8, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT

Ken Rosenthal doesn’t mince any words when it comes to the Hall of Fame electorate:

Our membership is too bloated, too riddled with voters who do not take
the process seriously enough to educate themselves properly . . . Virtually every voter I know is honored to participate in the process.
Virtually every voter I know considers the ballot a tremendous
responsibility. It’s the voters I don’t know — the ones I never see at
ballparks — who worry me. I fear that some do not give the candidates
the consideration they deserve.

The BBWAA has done a fine job in
recent years of adding Web-based writers, including several whose work
is strongly influenced by sabermetrics. The next step is to go the
other way, trim the fat from the membership, purge those who do not
study the game closely enough to warrant Hall of Fame votes.

The other day I was talking to someone about my “the BBWAA should be ashamed of itself” talk. His response was that it was a bit harsh for me to paint with such a wide bush because, after all, most writers did vote for Blyleven and most did vote for Alomar.  My response: you’re right, you can’t tar all the writers. But you can do is tar the organization collectively due to the fact that the electorate is simply too bloated and way too many votes are cast by people who don’t know what the hell they’re doing.

I’m glad to see that Ken Rosenthal (and Pete Abraham and other working baseball writers) feels the same way.  As Rosenthal notes, you have a lot of editors and assistant editors who get a vote, most of whom don’t have watching, researching and/or writing about baseball anywhere in their job description.  There is at least one political cartoonist in there.  It’s a cast of hundreds too many.

The BBWAA has managed to get the postseason awards pretty close to perfect the past couple of years using an electorate of people who actually watch and write a lot about baseball. That’s probably too small a pool to handle something as large as Hall of Fame voting, but I’m thinking that the ideal voting group should be a lot closer in size and expertise to the awards voters than it is to the current anyone-who-once-arguably-wrote-about-baseball-and-is-not-yet-dead crowd.

UPDATEBuster goes one better: After noting that there’s an inherent conflict of interest involved in writers voting in the first place, he argues the writers shouldn’t vote at all. Make the Hall of Fame come up with their own committee since it’s their thing anyway.

1. Forerunner 305 reviews - Jan 13, 2010 at 2:29 AM

Usually I do not post on blogs, but I would like to say that this blog really forced me to do so! Thanks, really nice post.

2. seo - Jan 15, 2010 at 6:52 AM

Good Read. I’ll look forward to your next article

3. Minerva Eagar - Feb 5, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Hello, how are you doing? I truly like ur blog! I am wondering if u might assist me (I am positive other subscribers might also be curious). I want to get into creating a blog as well and I at the moment have a blog with 1 of the local blog sites, but i would like to also be able to build my own blog on my own web name with movable type. As a movable type web master yourself, do u perhaps know were i could find tutorials to be able to do this? Thank you

4. Bok Lisker - Feb 6, 2010 at 4:41 AM

To commercialise in conditions of high-performance rather than cost, and in order to specialise accordingly, you need to pursue the ordinary format of the 4 Ps marketing plan. That is, Price, Product, Place and Promotion obviously you recognise the fundamental properties of the product, and the price, but for place you should remember about the type of individuals who are willing to give over 4x price of competing merchandise whereas the second-class option may be sold where accent is on cost, your product will be suited to places/distributors where the customers will be willing to pay for high-performance. Thank you for this article! I’ve just retrieved a without doubt incredible news about seo Attempt it!

5. backlinks - Feb 8, 2010 at 1:12 AM

Very interesting read. Thanks.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3487)