Jan 8, 2010, 10:50 AM EST
Depending on who you believe, the Rangers have offered Vald Guerrero either $5 million or $7 million. According to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com, however, it doesn’t really matter as “one source said Guerrero wasn’t particularly happy with the Rangers offer.”
Let’s say it’s $5 million. That’s what Bobby Abreu got to be Vlad’s teammate in Anaheim last year coming off a way better season in 2008 than Guerrero is coming off of now. Oh, and Abreu plays defense.
Hideki Matsui got $6 million, but he’s a better hitter at this point in his career than Vlad is, and he certainly represents the ceiling for DH signings this year. More on point is Jack Cust, who just got $2.5 million from the Athletics, and he too had a better 2009 than Guerrero. The Royals aren’t done yet so we can’t say this with 100% certainty, but I’m at least 99% sure that there is no free agent DH who is going to get more than $5 million between now and spring training.
So go ahead and be angry, Vlad. But then suck it up, take the deal, mash the hell out of the ball in the Ballpark at Arlington all summer and get paid more next year. That’s how it works when your bat slows down and you can’t play defense anymore.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (293)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)