Jan 8, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT
Depending on who you believe, the Rangers have offered Vald Guerrero either $5 million or $7 million. According to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com, however, it doesn’t really matter as “one source said Guerrero wasn’t particularly happy with the Rangers offer.”
Let’s say it’s $5 million. That’s what Bobby Abreu got to be Vlad’s teammate in Anaheim last year coming off a way better season in 2008 than Guerrero is coming off of now. Oh, and Abreu plays defense.
Hideki Matsui got $6 million, but he’s a better hitter at this point in his career than Vlad is, and he certainly represents the ceiling for DH signings this year. More on point is Jack Cust, who just got $2.5 million from the Athletics, and he too had a better 2009 than Guerrero. The Royals aren’t done yet so we can’t say this with 100% certainty, but I’m at least 99% sure that there is no free agent DH who is going to get more than $5 million between now and spring training.
So go ahead and be angry, Vlad. But then suck it up, take the deal, mash the hell out of the ball in the Ballpark at Arlington all summer and get paid more next year. That’s how it works when your bat slows down and you can’t play defense anymore.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 5
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 62
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)