Jan 8, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT
Depending on who you believe, the Rangers have offered Vald Guerrero either $5 million or $7 million. According to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com, however, it doesn’t really matter as “one source said Guerrero wasn’t particularly happy with the Rangers offer.”
Let’s say it’s $5 million. That’s what Bobby Abreu got to be Vlad’s teammate in Anaheim last year coming off a way better season in 2008 than Guerrero is coming off of now. Oh, and Abreu plays defense.
Hideki Matsui got $6 million, but he’s a better hitter at this point in his career than Vlad is, and he certainly represents the ceiling for DH signings this year. More on point is Jack Cust, who just got $2.5 million from the Athletics, and he too had a better 2009 than Guerrero. The Royals aren’t done yet so we can’t say this with 100% certainty, but I’m at least 99% sure that there is no free agent DH who is going to get more than $5 million between now and spring training.
So go ahead and be angry, Vlad. But then suck it up, take the deal, mash the hell out of the ball in the Ballpark at Arlington all summer and get paid more next year. That’s how it works when your bat slows down and you can’t play defense anymore.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 24
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 83
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (84)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)