Jan 8, 2010, 10:50 AM EST
Depending on who you believe, the Rangers have offered Vald Guerrero either $5 million or $7 million. According to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com, however, it doesn’t really matter as “one source said Guerrero wasn’t particularly happy with the Rangers offer.”
Let’s say it’s $5 million. That’s what Bobby Abreu got to be Vlad’s teammate in Anaheim last year coming off a way better season in 2008 than Guerrero is coming off of now. Oh, and Abreu plays defense.
Hideki Matsui got $6 million, but he’s a better hitter at this point in his career than Vlad is, and he certainly represents the ceiling for DH signings this year. More on point is Jack Cust, who just got $2.5 million from the Athletics, and he too had a better 2009 than Guerrero. The Royals aren’t done yet so we can’t say this with 100% certainty, but I’m at least 99% sure that there is no free agent DH who is going to get more than $5 million between now and spring training.
So go ahead and be angry, Vlad. But then suck it up, take the deal, mash the hell out of the ball in the Ballpark at Arlington all summer and get paid more next year. That’s how it works when your bat slows down and you can’t play defense anymore.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 40
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 21
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)