When are we going to forgive Barry Bonds?

Jan 8, 2010, 3:20 PM EDT

Gwen Knapp of the San Francisco Chronicle wants to know why Bud Selig and Tony La Russa and, eventually she presumes, the public is willing to embrace Mark McGwire once again despite his steroidy sins but not Barry Bonds.

I suppose that has a lot to do with the fact that people actually once, you know, liked Mark McGwire.

1. Old Gator - Jan 8, 2010 at 3:25 PM

I forgive you, Barry. Domini, domini, domini. Now put a donation in the tithing box commensurate with your ability to pay. Then turn your back for five minutes. Then, go downstairs, jimmy the lock on the broom closet open with a screwdriver and untie Father O’Rourke.

2. ross - Jan 8, 2010 at 3:35 PM

For me, there’s just not enough evidence against McGwire. The Infamous List is not evidence of use of banned or illegal substances for a variety of reasons that Craig has already detailed months ago. Jose Conseco may have said McGwire did steroids, but Conseco has no actual evidence either; it’s just hearsay.
    They may not have much against Bonds, but there’s even less against McGwire.
    And yeah, there’s that whole issue where Bonds just isn’t a likeable guy. Not that it should matter, but it does when it comes to things like forgiveness.

3. RamboDiaz - Jan 8, 2010 at 3:38 PM

I’ll forgive him when his throw beats Francisco Cabrera.

4. skip7 - Jan 8, 2010 at 3:50 PM

When will I forgive him? When he finally comes clean ala Pete Rose.

5. Brit Hume - Jan 8, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Barry needs to surrender to Christ, and then all of the ignorant sheep will decide he’s a great person.

6. Bill@TDS - Jan 8, 2010 at 4:08 PM

“ala Pete Rose,” meaning: when he finally “comes clean” by admitting to some stuff we already know he did in a way that paints him in the best possible light and allows him to sell lots of copies of a terrible book?

7. Union - Jan 8, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Or like how Arod has somehow returned his name to glory. Let’s face it, Bonds has had to take so much more heat and deal with way more public animosity than any of these other steroid users. Why? Who knows, but I’m guessing the media and how they painted the guy has a lot to do with it. And no, I’m not a Giants fan.

8. john pileggi - Jan 8, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Barry is a nasty guy who happens to have been an incredible ball player, including the “pre-steroid” era. I hope he decides to just admit the usage of PED when his legal issues are over, one way or the other.

9. InClemente Weather - Jan 8, 2010 at 4:40 PM

His militance and general unfriendliness aside, I suppose it would also start to happen when Bonds stops being African-American.
    Race card!

10. Randy - Jan 8, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Forgiveness and redemption are not automatic.
    Before one may be forgiven, that person must first demonstrated at least some form of contrition, or do something to redeem themselves in some meaningful way. Bonds has never even come close to that.

11. TC - Jan 8, 2010 at 6:14 PM

I will say this once more: I love me some Barry Bonds. When I was ten years old, he was the best player in baseball. When I was 20 years old, he was so much better than anyone else that I’m still trying to figure out how I will someday tell my children about him.
    I don’t watch Sportscenter, and I don’t read game summaries, so I imagine I’ve missed something like 98% of the Barry-is-a-jerk moments. I have no doubt the man can be insufferable. But I like baseball. I do not like baseball stories. And man, Barry Bonds was the best baseball player I’ve ever seen, and by a considerable margin.

12. Old Gator - Jan 8, 2010 at 11:55 PM

If Barry surrenders to Christ, he’s going to wind up in Abu Ghraib.

13. Ron - Jan 9, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Now see, that’s funny. Maybe you can lessons to other commentors that aren’t.

14. YANKEES1996 - Jan 9, 2010 at 11:48 AM

When he tells the TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!

15. Derrick - Jan 11, 2010 at 7:26 PM

When he stops being black.
    McGwire is a roid freak. Confirmed now!
    There is a clear double standard. He’ll be embraced cause he’s white. period. He will not be demonized or run out of baseball cause the rules are different for white athletes.

16. online stock trading - Feb 16, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I don’t usually reply to posts but I will in this case, great info…I will add a backlink and bookmark your site. Keep up the good work!

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3425)