Dodgers sign Russ Ortiz, for some reason

Jan 9, 2010, 11:31 AM EDT

According to Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, the Dodgers have signed right-hander Russ Ortiz and outfielder Michael Restovich to minor league contracts with invites to Spring Training.

Ortiz, 35, was 3-6 with a 5.57 ERA and 1.67 WHIP in 23 games (13
starts) with the Astros in 2009, his first full season back from Tommy
John surgery, but was released by the club in July. The Dodgers have
lost Randy Wolf, Jon Garland and Vicente Padilla this winter, so he
should get a chance to win a rotation spot, according to Gurnick.

How Ortiz keeps getting major league opportunities is positively
baffling. He has averaged 4.7 BB/9 during his career, led the league in
walks twice, and worst of all, he has tallied a 6.56 ERA since 2005.
We’re talking about the Dodgers here, the same team who gave Eric
Milton and Jason Schmidt shots in their rotation last season, but not
promising left-hander Scott Elbert. I’d like to think they wouldn’t be
this silly again, but don’t be surprised to see Elbert get similarly
shafted this season.

1. Jeff P. - Jan 9, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Oh my God. If you’re up for some endless laughter, go to the Dodger Blues site (http://www.dodgerblues.com/) soon to see what he comes up with on this. This joke of a management team is suddenly giving the Royals a run for their money.

2. Old Gator - Jan 9, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Why do I have this feeling that the owner of this team is trying to make sure that his wife winds up with…well, the team he’s building this winter? When I think back to all the ways in which I got even with my ex-wife, this is the one I really wish I could have though up at the time. I wasn’t in that kind of exalted financial situation back then, so I was left with having to piss on my Strat-O-Matic cards and packing them back in their little cardboard box with coffee grounds so she wouldn’t notice when she helped herself to the set, as I knew she would, and slunk out of the house with her BFF, who was carrying my beloved Savannah monitor lizard, Paris, under her arm.

3. jay - Jan 9, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Russ Ortiz is a cheap ass!! I valet his car one time and this punk didn’t even tip me. This is when he was playing for the Giants and signed a $30 million contract and he was with some ugly girl too. He sucks!!!!

4. Jeff P. - Jan 9, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Jay’s comment may be my all-time favorite.

5. Prosolution - Jan 11, 2010 at 5:05 AM

Aw, this was a really quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and never seem to get something done.

6. Garmin 305 review - Jan 12, 2010 at 10:10 AM

It helped me with ocean of knowledge so I really believe you will do much better in the future I appreciate everything you have added to my knowledge base.Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer!

7. BC - Jan 22, 2010 at 10:17 AM

At least my Mets didn’t sign him. Good job Omar!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2761)