Jan 9, 2010, 9:03 AM EDT
Remember this guy? Mets fans surely
do, but he didn’t have much time to endear himself in Seattle before
blowing out his right knee in a nasty collision with with shortstop
Yuniesky Betancourt last June. Chavez underwent ACL and MCL surgery on
the knee in July, but according to his agent Peter Greenberg, he is
currently “ahead of schedule” and could be major league ready by May.
Chavez’s value obviously springs
from his speed and fantastic defense, so he plans to showcase himself
for teams in March in order to earn a new contract. According to
Greenberg, he’d even be willing to sign a minor league deal.
“Endy is doing very well both physically and mentally in Venezuela.
He’ll come to Seattle end of January and take it from there. There is
also a chance that Endy may even be signed by the time he gets to
Seattle as we have had a few clubs ask if we’d entertain a minor-league
offer at this time – and we have said we would. If it is interesting
enough and Endy likes the situation, he may sign even before the end of
The Mariners have already stated
their interest, but given that Chavez is close to full strength, and
wouldn’t have much impact on a team’s 40-man roster, I can’t see how most MLB teams wouldn’t have interest in a defensive player of his caliber.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?