Jan 9, 2010, 9:03 AM EST
Remember this guy? Mets fans surely
do, but he didn’t have much time to endear himself in Seattle before
blowing out his right knee in a nasty collision with with shortstop
Yuniesky Betancourt last June. Chavez underwent ACL and MCL surgery on
the knee in July, but according to his agent Peter Greenberg, he is
currently “ahead of schedule” and could be major league ready by May.
Chavez’s value obviously springs
from his speed and fantastic defense, so he plans to showcase himself
for teams in March in order to earn a new contract. According to
Greenberg, he’d even be willing to sign a minor league deal.
“Endy is doing very well both physically and mentally in Venezuela.
He’ll come to Seattle end of January and take it from there. There is
also a chance that Endy may even be signed by the time he gets to
Seattle as we have had a few clubs ask if we’d entertain a minor-league
offer at this time – and we have said we would. If it is interesting
enough and Endy likes the situation, he may sign even before the end of
The Mariners have already stated
their interest, but given that Chavez is close to full strength, and
wouldn’t have much impact on a team’s 40-man roster, I can’t see how most MLB teams wouldn’t have interest in a defensive player of his caliber.
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 1
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 341
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (343)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Report: Josh Hamilton could get a suspension of “at least 25 games” (71)