Jan 9, 2010, 9:03 AM EDT
Remember this guy? Mets fans surely
do, but he didn’t have much time to endear himself in Seattle before
blowing out his right knee in a nasty collision with with shortstop
Yuniesky Betancourt last June. Chavez underwent ACL and MCL surgery on
the knee in July, but according to his agent Peter Greenberg, he is
currently “ahead of schedule” and could be major league ready by May.
Chavez’s value obviously springs
from his speed and fantastic defense, so he plans to showcase himself
for teams in March in order to earn a new contract. According to
Greenberg, he’d even be willing to sign a minor league deal.
“Endy is doing very well both physically and mentally in Venezuela.
He’ll come to Seattle end of January and take it from there. There is
also a chance that Endy may even be signed by the time he gets to
Seattle as we have had a few clubs ask if we’d entertain a minor-league
offer at this time – and we have said we would. If it is interesting
enough and Endy likes the situation, he may sign even before the end of
The Mariners have already stated
their interest, but given that Chavez is close to full strength, and
wouldn’t have much impact on a team’s 40-man roster, I can’t see how most MLB teams wouldn’t have interest in a defensive player of his caliber.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 53
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 60
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)