Jan 9, 2010, 9:03 AM EDT
Remember this guy? Mets fans surely
do, but he didn’t have much time to endear himself in Seattle before
blowing out his right knee in a nasty collision with with shortstop
Yuniesky Betancourt last June. Chavez underwent ACL and MCL surgery on
the knee in July, but according to his agent Peter Greenberg, he is
currently “ahead of schedule” and could be major league ready by May.
Chavez’s value obviously springs
from his speed and fantastic defense, so he plans to showcase himself
for teams in March in order to earn a new contract. According to
Greenberg, he’d even be willing to sign a minor league deal.
“Endy is doing very well both physically and mentally in Venezuela.
He’ll come to Seattle end of January and take it from there. There is
also a chance that Endy may even be signed by the time he gets to
Seattle as we have had a few clubs ask if we’d entertain a minor-league
offer at this time – and we have said we would. If it is interesting
enough and Endy likes the situation, he may sign even before the end of
The Mariners have already stated
their interest, but given that Chavez is close to full strength, and
wouldn’t have much impact on a team’s 40-man roster, I can’t see how most MLB teams wouldn’t have interest in a defensive player of his caliber.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 41
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 23
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 34
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 78
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 7
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 87
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)