The Mets are interested in John Smoltz, but we already knew that

Jan 9, 2010, 10:58 AM EDT

Matt Cerrone of MetsBlog.com reported it earlier this week, but Anthony McCarron of the Daily News confirms that the Mets are considering free agent right-hander John Smoltz “among a group of free agents.”

Phew, I wasn’t sure if it was a real rumor until a mainstream reporter
told me it was okay to think so. With this new information I can forge ahead knowing absolutely nothing I didn’t know before.

Sorry if I’m moody, but we’re getting very close to mid-January and the Mets haven’t done anything to address a starting staff that ranked 12th in the National League with a 4.77 ERA last season.

1. Moses Green - Jan 9, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Omar is way too savvy to address his pitching needs the way that the Mariners and Red Sox have, by adding great pitchers and skilled defensive players. Instead he signed an LF averaging -15 UZR/150 over the last 3 years based on his high RBI totals. Way to swim against the stream, Omar. Time for some good old-fashioned contrarianism. He’s like the Warren Buffet of GM’s.

2. John Pileggi - Jan 9, 2010 at 11:54 AM

My hope is that Minaya is waiting for players’ and agents’ prices to come down as spring training gets closer. The long post season schedule has shortened the off season, and so there is less time for negotiations. The big names are now off the board. Seems like if there was real demand for the remaining starters, we would have seen them already find a home. Time is on the clubs’ side now. Hopefully Omar uses that leverage to actually do something and not stand and watch.

3. YankeesfanLen - Jan 9, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Once again, I would like to thank Omar for totally ruining what once was kind of a crosstown rivalry.
    Always like to give my friends of the orange-and-blue hope by spring training, Minaya makes this impossible.
    6/12/09!

4. Old Gator - Jan 9, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Omar interested in John Smoltz. Who woulda thunk such a thing could be possible? Maybe it’s because Citified Field hasn’t got a green monster – but then, putting that ersatz Godzilla in New York was such a terrible idea in the first place, especially without a script. But let’s not stray off topic here. It’s really cold in Atlanta today, and all the really hot Weather Channel girls are wearing slacks and boots, dammit.

5. YANKEES1996 - Jan 9, 2010 at 2:14 PM

I wonder if John Smoltz would consider becoming the General Manager of the Mets, Hey it couldn’t hurt to ask.

6. Beverley Metoxen - Jan 24, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Heya…my very first comment on your blog. :) I have been popping in and out and reading your stuff for several time and just wanted to say hi. . Your site has some excellent content indeed . I also wanted to ask..is there a way to subscribe to your website via email?

Three legends off to Cooperstown