Jan 9, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
Ken Rosenthal tweets that the Yankees, Athletics and Padres are among five teams that are in the running for free agent utility man Jerry Hairston Jr. Rosenthal believes Hairston could make $2-3 million on a one-year deal, but is also fielding multi-year offers.
Hairston batted .251/.315/.394 with
10 home runs, 39 RBI and seven stolen bases in 383 at-bats between the
Reds and Yankees last season, but his main appeal is the ability to
play multiple positions.
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle believes
the A’s are seeking a “high quality, young third baseman or shortstop
with some versatility,” but would also be open to finding a steal among
the remaining free agents. Hairston doesn’t fit the classification of
“young” — he’s turning 34 in May — but he would be a cheap, versatile
option. He’s also the older brother of Athletics outfielder Scott
Hairston, so that could help matters.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17