Jan 10, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
2:46 P.M.: Jeff Blair of the Toronto Globe and Mail is confirming that it is indeed the Reds. Given how late the Jays were in the hunt, they, and thus he, would probably be in a position to know. UPDATE: Jeff Passan, who had the original report, confirms as well.
1:56 P.M: Surprise! It looks like it’s the Reds. Passan first narrowed it down to an NL Central team and then adds that a flight left Ft. Lauderdale for Cincinnati this morning. A source tells Passan it’s a $30 mil. deal over five years. Stay tuned for confirmation.
12:42 P.M.: There’s a tweet circulating from someone claiming to be Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports that says the following:
Cuban LHP Aroldis
Chapman agrees to $30M deal with National League team, according to
source. Left Ft. Lauderdale airport this a.m. to sign.
I’m posting this with the caveat that the account was just created and people have been burned with similar reports in the past.
Just a little background while we wait on the validity of this report, the Blue Jays and Angels have emerged as the front-runners for the Cuban left-hander in recent weeks. The Marlins made an offer to Chapman, but hoped that South Florida, and not cash, could make the difference in negotiations. The Reds were floated as a possibility by Ken Rosenthal as recently as Friday.
Update: Apologies to Passan, as the account appears to be real. In a report for Yahoo! Sports, Passan has no update on the possible team, but writes that the Astros and Nationals sent their general managers to the workout for Houston last month. He also notes that the Mets and recently, the Reds have expressed interest in the 21-year-old southpaw.
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 0
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 5
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 20
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 23
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)