Jan 10, 2010, 10:46 AM EDT
According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, nobody’s biting on 41-year-old Gary Sheffield.
The veteran slugger, who is representing himself this winter, still
feels he can be an everyday player and provide some right-handed thump,
but so far no major league team has agreed with him.
After being released by the Tigers during Spring Training last season,
Sheffield batted .276/.372/.451 with 10 home runs, 43 RBI and an 823
OPS in 268 at-bats with the Mets. He joined the 500-HR club with his first hit as a member of the Mets in April.
That said, he did very little after the month of June, batting
.254/.329/.365 with zero homers in 65 at-bats after the All-Star break,
barely seeing the field due to various injuries.
It’s possible that some team could surprise and invite him to Spring
Training, but Sheffield’s pride will always make him think he is more
important than his now complimentary skills suggest, leaving a
potential bench role as a useless distraction. This is destined to be one of those long, drawn-out “unofficially retired”
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 133
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)