Jan 10, 2010, 10:46 AM EST
According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, nobody’s biting on 41-year-old Gary Sheffield.
The veteran slugger, who is representing himself this winter, still
feels he can be an everyday player and provide some right-handed thump,
but so far no major league team has agreed with him.
After being released by the Tigers during Spring Training last season,
Sheffield batted .276/.372/.451 with 10 home runs, 43 RBI and an 823
OPS in 268 at-bats with the Mets. He joined the 500-HR club with his first hit as a member of the Mets in April.
That said, he did very little after the month of June, batting
.254/.329/.365 with zero homers in 65 at-bats after the All-Star break,
barely seeing the field due to various injuries.
It’s possible that some team could surprise and invite him to Spring
Training, but Sheffield’s pride will always make him think he is more
important than his now complimentary skills suggest, leaving a
potential bench role as a useless distraction. This is destined to be one of those long, drawn-out “unofficially retired”
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 80
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)