Updates on Josh Johnson and Felix Hernandez

Jan 10, 2010, 11:13 AM EDT

According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, the Marlins plan to meet with Josh Johnson’s agent Matt Sosnick about a new contract this week.
Johnson is arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter, and
figures to see his salary jump to around $4.2 million in 2010.
According to Frisaro, Sosnick will listen to offers on a contract
extension if the Marlins were to guarantee four years. The two sides
reached an impasse in November when Florida was only willing to give three.

Johnson, who turns 26 later this month, was 15-5 with a 3.23 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 191/58 K/BB ratio in 33 starts with the Marlins last season.

Speaking of young aces, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe writes that
talks between the Mariners and the agent for Felix Hernandez are
“getting serious” and there’s optimism that a long-term deal can get done this offseason.

1. Fish Fan - Jan 10, 2010 at 6:07 PM

I am confused. What was Josh’s ERA? You have two listed: “…was 15-5 with a 3.23 ERA, 1.16 ERA…”

2. Tom - Jan 10, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I’m thinking the 1.16 is his WHIP. A 1.16 ERA in this era would probably constitute the best year ever.

3. D.J. Short - Jan 10, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Surely you are needling me, Fish Fan. Understood. Fixed. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

4. Old Gator - Jan 10, 2010 at 10:46 PM

I would like to see the Feesh come to terms with Josh, but Jeffrey Loria and The Chihuahua never met a budding superstar they couldn’t afford to let walk. My hopes aren’t very high that he’ll still be here by the July deadline; in his place, I fear, will be yet another collection of EYPs we’ll get to watch develop until their testicles drop, the little buzzer goes off, and the Chihuahua gets on the phone to find new homes for them too.
    You know, it occurs to me that Loria and The Chihuahua run the Feesh like a chain of animal shelters. They seem able always to to find new homes for every one of their foundlings. We won’t compete very well in a division that features the Feelies and the Bravos, but far fewer Rule 5 types have to be euthanized.

5. Moses Green - Jan 11, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Loria is Selig’s DC – the Designated Cooler. In a couple of years, MLB will set up “Feesh Baseball LP” and send Omar to run them. Since Macondo capitulated and built the LandShark, you will get to keep your guppies, fear not. You may even get to see some of them grow up when your real owner arrives. As part of the deal, Loria will get to buy the Royals at a discount and go to KC and finish the job Dayton Moore has started. I’m rooting for the Royals to land in Las Vegas – then they can be the Royal Flushes.

6. Old Gator - Jan 11, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Cooler? I’m trying to imagine Loria being played by William H. Macey, and David Samson by, oh, Herve Villachaize (thee teem! thee teem!), or maybe, if it’s not a completely indie production this time, by Linda Hunt (she capitalizes nicely on dwarf transgender roles). Herve works; Macey doesn’t.
    Albert Brooks? Yeah! Let’s cant this remake middlebrow.
    Land Shark. Ugh. Every time I drive up the Terri Schiavo Turnpike (George’s smarter younger brother’s last official act before he went home to daydream about what it might have been like being President of the US if his brother hadn’t so completely fouled the waters for him first was to rename the road), I turn a little bit to the right to avoid having to look at that repulsive yellow tarpaulin they hung over the back of the scoreboard at Joeprodolshark Stadium with that truly idiotic Land Shark logo on it. Tell me, really, is there a major league sports arena anywhere in America with such an imbecilic name?
    Well, at least they kept it temporary, given how the stadium has changed names more often than a chameleon on a disco ball changes colors. If these people had a brain in their otherwise anancephalic marketing heads, they would change the name of the stadium every day and have a steady stream of royalties pouring in, synched nicely to the revolving door parade of EYP’s on the way in, and the arbitration-eligible future superstars Loria and the Chihuahua traded for them on the way out.

7. holiday rentals - Jan 13, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Just seen on the news about Haiti – very sad, my prayers are with them.

8. Rachal Bevelle - Jan 31, 2010 at 7:04 PM

I would propose arranging content marketing, let me explicate. You can get a video professionally made for more or less $47.00 97.00 (30-60 seconds) screening your top-notch desk drawer slide. You can even show how easy it is to destruct your competitors and blast it around over 100 internet video sites for as little as $5.00 per site to be done manualy!You can get keyword research done for you professionally, naming the keyword phrases that will get you a nice amount of search volum, yes with duller competing pages. Thank you for this article! I’ve just got a absolutely unbelievable site about seo advertising Judge it!

9. Kenia Mauricio - Mar 7, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Good stuff – thanks.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3318)