Breaking: McGwire admits to using steroids in 1998

Jan 11, 2010, 3:04 PM EDT

We knew this was coming eventually, but now it has finally come. McGwire was taking steroids in 1998 when he broke the home run record.  Excerpts from his statement, which have been leaked:

• “I wish I had never touched steroids.  It
    was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologize. Looking back, I
    wish I had never played during the steroid era.”
  • “I never knew when, but I always knew this day would come.  It’s time for me to talk about the past and to confirm what
    people have suspected”
  • “I’m sure people will wonder if I could have hit all those home runs
    had I never taken steroids. I had good years when I
    didn’t take any, and I had bad years when I didn’t take any. I had good
    years when I took steroids, and I had bad years when I took steroids.
    But no matter what, I shouldn’t have done it and for that I’m truly
    sorry.”
  • “After all this time, I want to come clean. I was not in a
    position to do that five years ago in my congressional testimony, but
    now I feel an obligation to discuss this and to answer questions about
    it. I’ll do that, and then I just want to help my team.”
  • “I remember trying steroids very briefly in the 1989/1990 offseason and
    then after I was injured in 1993, I used steroids again. I used them on occasion throughout the ’90s,
    including during the 1998 season.”
  • “During the mid-’90s, I went on the DL seven times and missed 228 games
    over five years. I experienced a lot
    of injuries, including a ribcage strain, a torn left heel muscle, a
    stress fracture of the left heel, and a torn right heel muscle. It was
    definitely a miserable bunch of years, and I told myself that steroids
    could help me recover faster. I thought they would help me heal and
    prevent injuries, too.”
  • “Baseball is really different now — it’s been cleaned up. The commissioner and the players’ association implemented
    testing and they cracked down, and I’m glad they did.”

The AP report says that McGwire also used human growth hormone, though McGwire didn’t include that
detail in his statement.

1. J. Gary - Jan 11, 2010 at 4:33 PM

McGwire purjured himself before Congress and the entire country. He is a flat out liar. He deserves to be indicted and prosecuted.
    His athletic abilities have nothing to do with his morality. There is a price to pay and he must not be allowed to escape consequences with an “Oh, I so sorry…..I make a mistakypoo!”

2. Shely - Jan 11, 2010 at 4:36 PM

He never lied to Congress. I think he refused to testify. Basically taking the 5th with an explanation that they should all look to the future, and not the past. That is an opinion, not a lie. I think he neither admitted or denied the charge.

3. J - Jan 11, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Norm wants us to believe there are more important things than this article but this is the article he’s reading and commenting on.

4. Cheech Marin - Jan 11, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Drugs have ruined baseball holmes. Why do these people do this stuff. It’s like they have no honor. I mean athletes are the only people that do stuff they shouldn’t do ;right? Now pass the bowl so I can keep surfing and judging public figures for their bad decision making.

5. Steve in Montana - Jan 11, 2010 at 4:45 PM

It would be completely unfair to remove ALL of the numbers because without the juice they still would have performed up to or maybe slightly less than their career average. I say their numbers should be reduced to their average for the years that they “peaked” or used. But then, you’d have to somehow reduce batting averages, slugging percentages, etc. Even without the extra juice, Mark was as good as any other first baseman already in the HOF.

6. mike - Jan 11, 2010 at 5:11 PM

seems to me back at that time mac and sammy where credited with saving the game of baseball don’t that count for anything

7. Leanne - Jan 11, 2010 at 5:22 PM

What a #ussy!

8. G - Jan 11, 2010 at 5:24 PM

He was about the only one that did not lie to congress…he said “I am not here to talk about the past”. He was one of the few that did not flat out lie. He is also not one of the 103 on any list. He retired in 2001 way before any testing. The list came around in 2003…

9. Libertarian Michael - Jan 11, 2010 at 5:32 PM

All the steroids in the world cannot make a player a better hitter. They might help the ball go farther, but steroids don’t improve eye-hand coordination at all. Bonds was one of the greatest hitters in baseball even before his head tripled in size. Steroids give great hitters an edge. MOST players in MLB took steroids yet only the players who hit tons of home runs are accused. That shows how little the general public knows about steroids. You have to take MASSIVE amounts of steroids to put on the kind of size bonds and sosa did. I have been taking a high dose of testosterone injections from an endocrinologist due to a medical necessity for 20 years, and noone would have the slightest idea I was on a ‘steroid’. Most players just took some winstrol or testosterone during the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s and noone had any idea. Noone knew about the ‘leaded’ and ‘unleaded’ coffee in the clubhouses either, most players drank the ‘leaded’ which contained amphetamines.

10. TRob - Jan 11, 2010 at 6:13 PM

I am absolutely SHOCKED…. oh wait no I’m not

11. JTC - Jan 11, 2010 at 6:59 PM

I’d like to know why he wasn’t “in a position” to tell the truth to Congress.

12. YANKEES1996 - Jan 12, 2010 at 11:19 AM

G, a lie of omission is still a lie! He sat in front of Congress and was asked face to face if he did use PEDs and the best answer he could come up with is “I am not here to talk about the past”. He knew the answer he should have given and was too much of a coward to give it. You can ignore his behaviour and his blatant disrespect if you want to, I choose not to! He is a LIAR plain and simple. He was one of the players caught up in the whole “Andro” situation and would not answer questions by the media during that time. He is asking for forgivness and all the fans can give it to him, me included, but the damage is done and he will be labeled a liar for the rest of his career and life and that is the cross he will bear for making the decisions he made. Oh and by the way I wasn’t talking about the CONFIDENTIAL list from MLB, I was talking about the very public list of SUSPECTED USERS.

13. barry gorbes - Jan 23, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Great information thanks for getting this out there for people like me to read.

14. Milagro Spotwood - Jan 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM

We are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on.You have done a marvellous job!

15. Shane Majamay - Jan 27, 2010 at 5:37 AM

Sch

16. Alvera Teager - Feb 2, 2010 at 8:49 AM

Guter Post und gelungene Site.

17. Brigette Kammerzell - Feb 3, 2010 at 5:39 AM

Hello, fantastic blog, I truly enjoyed reading this. the article gave me the momentum to try my own post, please check my article by clicking my name at the top of this post, thank you

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4723)