Jan 11, 2010, 10:25 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Dodgers want everyone to know they’re trying really, really hard. Honestly, folks.
According to Yahoo!’s Tim Brown, the Dodgers are trying to figure out away to sign free agent pitcher Joel Pineiro, who is coming off perhaps his finest season.
The Dodgers have reportedly been on the Pineiro hunt for awhile, but since it keeps coming up we’ll mention it again.
Following two straight trips to the NLCS, and proving to be no match for the Phillies in both instances, the Dodgers are taking an odd (meaning cheap) approach to this offseason. It’s an approach no doubt connected — no matter what the honchos tell you — to the ongoing divorce proceedings between owners Frank and Jamie McCourt.
The Dodgers have already let Randy Wolf walk and made little to no effort to bring back Jon Garland, Vicente Padilla and/or Jeff Weaver. Jason Schmidt is also gone, but his presence was little more than a rumor anyway, kind of like Sasquatch.
That leaves them with Chad Billingsley, Clayton Kershaw, Hiroki Kuroda and a host of other possibilities, including Hong-Chih Kuo, Eric Stults, James McDonald and Russ Ortiz. Russ Ortiz? What, Dave Burba wasn’t available?
Anyway, the whole thing is rather ridiculous considering the Dodgers said they couldn’t afford Wolf, who signed for three years and $29.75 million with the Brewers. Guess how much Pineiro wants? Three years, $30 million!
Who’s running that team, the body guard?
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 0
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)