Jan 11, 2010, 10:25 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Dodgers want everyone to know they’re trying really, really hard. Honestly, folks.
According to Yahoo!’s Tim Brown, the Dodgers are trying to figure out away to sign free agent pitcher Joel Pineiro, who is coming off perhaps his finest season.
The Dodgers have reportedly been on the Pineiro hunt for awhile, but since it keeps coming up we’ll mention it again.
Following two straight trips to the NLCS, and proving to be no match for the Phillies in both instances, the Dodgers are taking an odd (meaning cheap) approach to this offseason. It’s an approach no doubt connected — no matter what the honchos tell you — to the ongoing divorce proceedings between owners Frank and Jamie McCourt.
The Dodgers have already let Randy Wolf walk and made little to no effort to bring back Jon Garland, Vicente Padilla and/or Jeff Weaver. Jason Schmidt is also gone, but his presence was little more than a rumor anyway, kind of like Sasquatch.
That leaves them with Chad Billingsley, Clayton Kershaw, Hiroki Kuroda and a host of other possibilities, including Hong-Chih Kuo, Eric Stults, James McDonald and Russ Ortiz. Russ Ortiz? What, Dave Burba wasn’t available?
Anyway, the whole thing is rather ridiculous considering the Dodgers said they couldn’t afford Wolf, who signed for three years and $29.75 million with the Brewers. Guess how much Pineiro wants? Three years, $30 million!
Who’s running that team, the body guard?
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 8
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 6
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (82)