Jan 11, 2010, 10:25 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Dodgers want everyone to know they’re trying really, really hard. Honestly, folks.
According to Yahoo!’s Tim Brown, the Dodgers are trying to figure out away to sign free agent pitcher Joel Pineiro, who is coming off perhaps his finest season.
The Dodgers have reportedly been on the Pineiro hunt for awhile, but since it keeps coming up we’ll mention it again.
Following two straight trips to the NLCS, and proving to be no match for the Phillies in both instances, the Dodgers are taking an odd (meaning cheap) approach to this offseason. It’s an approach no doubt connected — no matter what the honchos tell you — to the ongoing divorce proceedings between owners Frank and Jamie McCourt.
The Dodgers have already let Randy Wolf walk and made little to no effort to bring back Jon Garland, Vicente Padilla and/or Jeff Weaver. Jason Schmidt is also gone, but his presence was little more than a rumor anyway, kind of like Sasquatch.
That leaves them with Chad Billingsley, Clayton Kershaw, Hiroki Kuroda and a host of other possibilities, including Hong-Chih Kuo, Eric Stults, James McDonald and Russ Ortiz. Russ Ortiz? What, Dave Burba wasn’t available?
Anyway, the whole thing is rather ridiculous considering the Dodgers said they couldn’t afford Wolf, who signed for three years and $29.75 million with the Brewers. Guess how much Pineiro wants? Three years, $30 million!
Who’s running that team, the body guard?
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)