Life is about to get tough for scalpers in Milwaukee

Jan 11, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT

There’s nothing quite like the ocean-sized parking lot outside of Miller Park. Beer. Brats. Happy Midwesterners.  It’s about as close to heaven a boring, baseball loving guy like me has ever been.

But there’s a dark underbelly lurking:

Team officials say scalpers are using increasingly aggressive tactics,
stalking potential buyers, pestering families as they enter the stadium
and hopping on tour buses as they arrive at the park. They say they
receive complaints nearly every game about the activity, which hurts
their attempts to provide a fan-friendly experience.

Lots of fraud too, as scalpers there routinely use tickets to go in and get free giveaways, leave the park and then resell the used (and now worthless) tickets to unsuspecting Wisconsinites.  (Query: wasn’t it great when they used to actually tear tickets?).

Scalpers are already supposed to stay in a single designated area, but they always break that rule and usually evade any penalties for it due to loopholes and lax enforcement. All of this has the Wisconsin legislature moving to heel the scalpers.

Good for them. Now if they’ll pass some law that keeps those happy Midwesterners from screwing up perfectly good tailgating by complaining about some Packers’ playoff loss six months ago, the place would be perfect.

1. Old Gator - Jan 11, 2010 at 9:42 AM

I feel almost guilty about riffing on this one, there are so many delectable angles. Scalpinjg. The Indians. Oh boy. If you suffer from an excess of politicial correctness, I urge you to turn away now. Yours truly is about to morph into a one-man Glanton gang.
    How’s this for starters? I was sitting on a park bench in Cleveland reading Blood Meridian the other day when this great big hairless albino guy came over to me and asked me if I’d like to buy a ticket to the Kansas City game….
    No, too obvious. Okay then, I was having some green corn tamales and a shot of bathtub whiskey at Larua’s with Leslie Marmon Silko the other day, musing about how Louise Erdrich had gone wasitchu-Urban on us, when this great bug hairless albino guy walking a trailer park Republican on a leash came by and asked if we wanted to buy some tickets to the Diamondback’s spring training game with the Braves….
    No, too esoteric. How about…well, come on folks, I can’t be the only Cormackian out here. Some of the rest of you must have Blood Meridian jokes to tell about this story.

2. lar @ wezen-ball - Jan 11, 2010 at 10:20 AM

I have never been bothered or harassed by the scalping at Miller Park. I’d say the Bradley Center scalpers are more prevalent and annoying. But then again, I usually enter the park through non-traditional means (riding a bike, taking the city bus), so maybe I’m just never around for the bad parts of it. The tour bus thing sounds pretty sketchy, though.
    And, after yesterday’s Packers loss, I don’t think the Miller Park parking lot will ever stop talking about that. If you don’t like people talking about 6-month-old playoff losses, wait until they’re talking about 6-year-old playoff losses… fun times.

3. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Jan 11, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Folks dumb enough to buy tickets from a scalper get what they deserve.

4. Tom - Jan 11, 2010 at 12:08 PM

I think we already knew, deep in our hearts, that scalpers had been hired by the Mexican government only to go AWOL.

5. Old Gator - Jan 11, 2010 at 12:52 PM

There we go. I knew you folks were out there someplace. And of course the scalpers we’ve known were no less vicious than John, Dave, Toadvine and the judge et al. But having watched Gary “Lookitme” Carter play for the Mutts and Exposed, and then listened to him as the color man in the Precambrian peeriod of thee Feesh, it always made me nervous to read about “the kid,” you know?
    Incidentally, I have also noticed that literacy is a slightly less lonely thing since the Republicans lost Congress. And come to think of it, as long as we’re on the subject of great big hairless albinos, how about a lecture on paleontology and evolution? With the shift in Washington away from juvenile religiosity, we can go back to that now too.

6. Tom - Jan 11, 2010 at 11:11 PM

I fervently hope that the Judge concludes that the Yankees exist without his consent, but unfortunately I suspect he may be related to the Steinbrenners.

The Yanks are dancing and will never die.

The Fish are a bad example for evolution as they’ve never demonstrated much of an ability to cash in on their developing players. Instead they’ve relied on intelligent design by interested billionaires.

7. Garmin Forerunner 305 review - Jan 12, 2010 at 10:10 AM

You may have not intended to do so, but I think you have managed to express the state of mind that a lot of people are in. The sense of wanting to help, but not knowing how or where, is something a lot of us are going through.

8. Jen Johannes - Jan 24, 2010 at 3:17 AM

We are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on.You have done a marvellous job!

9. fair trade coffees - Jan 26, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Keep up the wonderful writing. I loved reading your blog. Thanks

10. Freddie Urbancic - Jan 27, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Hi buddy, your blog’s design is simple and clean and i like it. Your blog posts are superb. Please keep them coming. Greets!!!

11. Issac Maez - Jan 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM

What the… you will not belief that. This stupid cat actually farted on my arm!? I mean what is the problem with this!? I feed that thing and I get that in return. I still can not really belief that. After all, you hold a few useful info there in your article. I knew Yahoo will take me to some interesting stuff today :). Ok have to search for that pet now! Have a great day you all!

12. SHOES INSERTS - Feb 1, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Heel lifts are wedge-shaped inserts which are placed in the heel portion of a shoe, with the intention of adding elevation under one or both feet for therapeutic purposes. People who suffer foot pain while wearing shoes for an extended time. height insoles can alleviate pain. Shoe inserts are also great for those who want to increase their height.

13. Ira Lossa - Feb 3, 2010 at 5:39 AM

Hi, super post, I truly enjoyed reading it. This blog gave me the kick to try my own article, please check my article by clicking my name at the top of this comment, thank you

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate