Jan 11, 2010, 9:30 AM EST
There’s nothing quite like the ocean-sized parking lot outside of Miller Park. Beer. Brats. Happy Midwesterners. It’s about as close to heaven a boring, baseball loving guy like me has ever been.
Team officials say scalpers are using increasingly aggressive tactics,
stalking potential buyers, pestering families as they enter the stadium
and hopping on tour buses as they arrive at the park. They say they
receive complaints nearly every game about the activity, which hurts
their attempts to provide a fan-friendly experience.
Lots of fraud too, as scalpers there routinely use tickets to go in and get free giveaways, leave the park and then resell the used (and now worthless) tickets to unsuspecting Wisconsinites. (Query: wasn’t it great when they used to actually tear tickets?).
Scalpers are already supposed to stay in a single designated area, but they always break that rule and usually evade any penalties for it due to loopholes and lax enforcement. All of this has the Wisconsin legislature moving to heel the scalpers.
Good for them. Now if they’ll pass some law that keeps those happy Midwesterners from screwing up perfectly good tailgating by complaining about some Packers’ playoff loss six months ago, the place would be perfect.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (306)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)