Jan 11, 2010, 9:30 AM EST
There’s nothing quite like the ocean-sized parking lot outside of Miller Park. Beer. Brats. Happy Midwesterners. It’s about as close to heaven a boring, baseball loving guy like me has ever been.
Team officials say scalpers are using increasingly aggressive tactics,
stalking potential buyers, pestering families as they enter the stadium
and hopping on tour buses as they arrive at the park. They say they
receive complaints nearly every game about the activity, which hurts
their attempts to provide a fan-friendly experience.
Lots of fraud too, as scalpers there routinely use tickets to go in and get free giveaways, leave the park and then resell the used (and now worthless) tickets to unsuspecting Wisconsinites. (Query: wasn’t it great when they used to actually tear tickets?).
Scalpers are already supposed to stay in a single designated area, but they always break that rule and usually evade any penalties for it due to loopholes and lax enforcement. All of this has the Wisconsin legislature moving to heel the scalpers.
Good for them. Now if they’ll pass some law that keeps those happy Midwesterners from screwing up perfectly good tailgating by complaining about some Packers’ playoff loss six months ago, the place would be perfect.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 17
- Report: Athletics working on a trade 24
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)