Jan 11, 2010, 2:25 PM EDT
The New York Post reports today
on a lawsuit filed against the Mets by a woman named Ellen Massey who,
in 2007 was more or less crushed by a fat guy who came hurtling out of
his seat in her direction, breaking her vertebrae. Massey says the fat
guy was drunk. The fat guy said he was pushed. No word on whether Roger
McDowell has been subpoenaed yet.
My interest in this case is more one of personal blogging history, as it led to one of my first blog posts over at ShysterBall back in May of 2007
when it first arose. My take on it then echoes the rule we were taught
over and over in law school: if you’re going to sue a ballclub and the
beer vendor for overserving a fat guy who later falls on you and breaks
your back, you’d better be able to prove he wasn’t fit to be served in
the first place. It’s hornbook law, as they say.
By all accounts, Ms. Massey didn’t identify the falling fatty until
well after the event (back in 2007 it was still a John Doe complaint)
and if she didn’t know who he was at the time, I have no idea who she’s
supposed to establish that he was drunk and overserved at the time. And
that’s really the only basis for the Mets to have liability here. I
mean sure, the fat guy or his shovey friend could get sued
individually, but they’re not big and rich like the Mets are, so why
would any self-respecting plaintiff’s lawyers sue them?
But I think the best thing about the Post story is the way they portray one
of the Mets’ defenses — a boilerplate contributory negligence
allegation — as the kind of thing only a souless and heartless
victim-blaming monster could concoct. It’s a standard defense guys.
Lighten up, smarten up or stick to the wedding announcement business.
(thanks to Jason at IIATMS for the heads up)
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)