The Pirates are in talks with Ryan Church

Jan 11, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT

Dejan Kovacevic says that the Pirates have had “extensive conversations” with Ryan Church about coming to Pittsburgh. The idea would be for him to start a bit, but move quietly to a bench role if and when Jose Tabata can take over the position on a full time basis. If I’m Church I’d probably feel pretty comfortable about Tabata’s ability to do that not kicking in until 2011, so Pittsburgh may not be a bad place to be in 2010.

Church hit
.273/.338/.384 with four home runs and 40 RBI in 359 at-bats between
the Braves and Mets. Assuming the back problems he had last year were temporary — as he claims they are despite the fact that no one I’ve ever known with back problems had them go away completely — he’s capable of better than that
.  He’s a solid platoon guy who’s hit .287/.357/.460 against
righties over the past three seasons and plays good defense in either corner.

Basically, he could be a good option as the sort of swingman the Pirates envision. Better than Rick Ankiel anyway, given the fact that he’d certainly want to start and play center in order to position himself for 2011.

1. RamboDiaz - Jan 11, 2010 at 9:45 AM

I really hope they sign him.
    He’s totally going to bring a sweet Single-A SS prospect in return when he gets traded in July.

2. Old Gator - Jan 11, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Awww, the Pirates? Church is exactly the kind of ongoing reclamation project that Larry Beinfest loves to snatch up for the Feesh (assuming Loria and the Chihuahua are paying attention instead of watching reruns of Pollack in the Chihuahua’s office on the home theater that was all Loria salvaged from his divorce). Put him in left field in April on a one-year, heavily backloaded, incentive-laden contract and wait for either (a) his inevitable season-ending collision with Cameron Maybin just as Maybin’s bat catches fire, while lunging for a line drive heading right at his face, or (b) his brilliant comeback year in which he fulfills all the expectations of his high school coach and prices himself off the Feesh next winter after keeping us in a delusional state of contention while the Bravos and Mutts take until their usual post-all-star break week to awaken suddenly and slug it out for the wild card, leading us to a fourth-place finish following our own usual collapse in late August.

3. Frida Lander - Jan 24, 2010 at 9:22 AM

I know this is really boring and you are skipping to the next comment, but I just wanted to throw you a big thanks – you cleared up some things for me!

4. bedroom furniture - Feb 3, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Oh jesus you’ll not belief that. Our mindless dog actually farted on my knee!? I mean what’s the matter with this!? I give food to this thing and I receive that in exchange. I yet will not belief this. Anyway, you’ve got quite a few useful information there in your posting. I knew Google are going to take me to some helpful stuff today :). Okay should hunt that pet now! Have a nice time you all!

5. Bedroom Furniture - Feb 3, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Oh jesus you will not belief this. My stupid cat simply just farted on my leg!? I mean what is the problem with this!? I give food to this thing and I get this in exchange. I even now can not really belief this. After all, you have some helpful info there in your post. I knew Google will take me to some fascinating stuff today :). Ok must search that creature now! Have a nice day you all!

6. Bedroom Furniture Wardrobes - Feb 3, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Oh jesus you will not belief that. My mindless kitty simply farted on my arm!? I mean what is the matter with this!? I care for that thing and I receive that in return. I yet will not really belief that. After all, you hold a number of helpful info there in your article. I knew Google are going to bring me to some helpful stuff today :). O . k . have to search for this animal now! Have a nice evening you all!

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto