Jan 11, 2010, 2:00 PM EST
The general consensus among the Twitterati yesterday and this morning was that the Reds may have Chapman in the 2011 rotation, but seeing how raw he is, it’s not a given. Reds GM Walt Jocketty scoffs at your conservatism:
As far as when he’ll be on the mound at Great American
Ball Park, Jocketty said he wants to get Chapman to start working with
catcher Ramon Hernandez and hopes things move quickly.
Jocketty said that hopefully Chapman is a Top 5 starters. If not,
he’ll start in the minors and hopefully be in the rotation in the near
So the hope is that he breaks camp in the rotation, but they’ll settle for later in 2010. Based on what we’ve heard about Chapman that seems optimistic. I mean, the dude had better figure out how to throw a changeup pretty quickly, because major league hitters can handle 100 m.p.h. gas if they know it’s coming.
But just as gambling on expensive young talent with an upside represents a competitive advantage for sub-.500 teams with low payrolls, maybe rushing that talent and squeezing as much juice out of them before they sign with the Yankees is a competitive advantage as well.
For those who want it, video of the Aroldis Chapman press conference from Cincy today can be seen here.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 30
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 30
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)