Jan 11, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
The general consensus among the Twitterati yesterday and this morning was that the Reds may have Chapman in the 2011 rotation, but seeing how raw he is, it’s not a given. Reds GM Walt Jocketty scoffs at your conservatism:
As far as when he’ll be on the mound at Great American
Ball Park, Jocketty said he wants to get Chapman to start working with
catcher Ramon Hernandez and hopes things move quickly.
Jocketty said that hopefully Chapman is a Top 5 starters. If not,
he’ll start in the minors and hopefully be in the rotation in the near
So the hope is that he breaks camp in the rotation, but they’ll settle for later in 2010. Based on what we’ve heard about Chapman that seems optimistic. I mean, the dude had better figure out how to throw a changeup pretty quickly, because major league hitters can handle 100 m.p.h. gas if they know it’s coming.
But just as gambling on expensive young talent with an upside represents a competitive advantage for sub-.500 teams with low payrolls, maybe rushing that talent and squeezing as much juice out of them before they sign with the Yankees is a competitive advantage as well.
For those who want it, video of the Aroldis Chapman press conference from Cincy today can be seen here.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 16
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)