Jan 11, 2010, 10:28 AM EDT
MLB.com’s Ian Browne makes a good point:
Vlad to the Rangers as DH would seem to signify no chance of Lowell to Texas ever being rekindled.
Hmm. Hadn’t thought of that. If the Rangers are out of the running — and why wouldn’t they be — what on Earth is Boston gonna do with Lowell? Who else wants him? At this point they’re looking at either a release or paying $12 million for a guy to backup two dudes who outclass him both defensively and offensively, and that’s not what one usually looks for in a utility infielder.
The only way he’s valuable to the Sox is if David Ortiz decides that his first-half 2009 numbers are his new level, and that’s only relative value as opposed to absolute value.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 49
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 8
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 36
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)