Jan 11, 2010, 10:28 AM EST
MLB.com’s Ian Browne makes a good point:
Vlad to the Rangers as DH would seem to signify no chance of Lowell to Texas ever being rekindled.
Hmm. Hadn’t thought of that. If the Rangers are out of the running — and why wouldn’t they be — what on Earth is Boston gonna do with Lowell? Who else wants him? At this point they’re looking at either a release or paying $12 million for a guy to backup two dudes who outclass him both defensively and offensively, and that’s not what one usually looks for in a utility infielder.
The only way he’s valuable to the Sox is if David Ortiz decides that his first-half 2009 numbers are his new level, and that’s only relative value as opposed to absolute value.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 121
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (369)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (126)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)