Jan 11, 2010, 10:28 AM EDT
MLB.com’s Ian Browne makes a good point:
Vlad to the Rangers as DH would seem to signify no chance of Lowell to Texas ever being rekindled.
Hmm. Hadn’t thought of that. If the Rangers are out of the running — and why wouldn’t they be — what on Earth is Boston gonna do with Lowell? Who else wants him? At this point they’re looking at either a release or paying $12 million for a guy to backup two dudes who outclass him both defensively and offensively, and that’s not what one usually looks for in a utility infielder.
The only way he’s valuable to the Sox is if David Ortiz decides that his first-half 2009 numbers are his new level, and that’s only relative value as opposed to absolute value.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)