Aaron and the Maris family forgive McGwire

Jan 12, 2010, 8:55 AM EDT

Hank Aaron on Mark McGwire’s mea culpa:

“I think that it’s wonderful that he did this. It takes a big man to admit this and I want to commend him for that. A
lot of people make mistakes, and for him to stand up and admit what he
has done in the past, I think it’s very admirable.

“As far as I’m concerned he has asked for forgiveness. He
has my forgiveness. If that’s all that stands in the way between him
being inducted into Cooperstown we should all forgive him. He didn’t commit murder. He didn’t commit robbery. He said he took steroids.”

McGwire offered a personal apology to Roger Maris’ widow too. While the family still understandably thinks that Roger should have the record, check out their response:

“He told her he had something to tell her – he just wanted her to
know the news was going to break and that he did do steroids,” Rich
Maris said. “He apologized to her, to my dad, to us kids. That speaks
volumes to the kind of guy he is . . . My mom was very touched by his call. She felt sorry for Mark – that
he’s going through this. She conveyed that we all make mistakes and
move on from there.”

“This [McGwire's steroid use] is something we thought all along. It
wasn’t so much a surprise, but I feel bad for Mark. He’s a very genuine
guy and we’re close to him – we love him like a brother. I’m glad he
got it out.”

Anyone want to bet whether Aaron’s and the Maris family’s responses will shut up the moralizers in the media who claim to be defending the legacy of the home run hitters of yore?  I don’t know about you, but I’m not holding my breath. Outrage is too fun to give up easily.

1. Moses Green - Jan 12, 2010 at 8:58 AM

And Hirshbeck forgave Alomar. No one, repeat no one cares.

2. Moses Green - Jan 12, 2010 at 9:04 AM

I was happy to see that Bud Selig officially labeled the new era from 2004 forward the “HGH Era.” From his official statement:
    “The Steroid Era is over. The Players’ Union stonewalled us on steroid testing while we looked the other way and counted money. Now that they are stonewalling us on HGH blood-testing, we continue with the looking away and the counting of money. I think the HGH Era has the potential to be very special for Major League Baseball and its’ many fans worldwide. Why, Jamie Moyer is 47 years old, he severed his groin, he almost died from a post-operative infection, and HE’LL BE PITCHING IN MAY. Ain’t life grand?”

3. Jonny5 - Jan 12, 2010 at 9:19 AM

So Mcgwire still holds the “record”………….

4. Lawrence From Plattekill - Jan 12, 2010 at 9:22 AM

I don’t know anyone who hangs on to his outrage any more than you hang on to your snark. That last sentence of yours struck me as just as hypocritical as any of the rest of it.

5. Grant - Jan 12, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Uh oh. Looks like the outrage backlash is building its own backlash. Such is the nature of the Internet.

6. Mark - Jan 12, 2010 at 9:50 AM

I agree with HOFer Hank Aaron on this one, it takes a big man to admit his mistakes. Thank you Big Mac for coming forward. All who do not follow in his footsteps (yes I am talking to you Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens) should not even appear on the HOF ballot.

7. Moses Green - Jan 12, 2010 at 9:54 AM

By all means, thank you Mac for cheating and only now “totally coming clean” with that self-serving and delusional garbage bin of a non-apology because you want to coach for your old alcoholic enabler Tony LaRussa.
    If you want to see a real apology and real men, google Jason Giambi and Andy Pettitte.

8. JasonC23 - Jan 12, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Jason Giambi wouldn’t even say what he was apologizing for! Criminey, man.

9. GBSimons - Jan 12, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Moses, I hope you were being sarcastic. Because, yes, Giambi was SO heartfelt when he “apologized” for doing “some things” he shouldn’t have. And doesn’t Pettitte’s “I did it to recover from injury” story sound a lot like what McGwire said?

10. dcfan-1212450 - Jan 12, 2010 at 10:19 AM

I think Pettite is the only one who said it right. Immediately admitted it, never lied or tried to hide, and then let his play do the talking.
    And doesnt anyone else think that Hank Aarons statements are more of a jab at Barry Bonds than a congratulations to McGwire. I mean thats the record Aaron and baseball truly cherished…

11. Moses Green - Jan 12, 2010 at 10:21 AM

You’re a couple of real men. Facing possible federal indictments, I’m sure both of you would have jumped right up and said exactly what you were apologizing for. No wait, you wouldn’t have, because that would be stupid. But wait, you’re both stupid, so maybe you would have. I can’t decide. Why don’t you help me decide fellas?

12. PalookaJoe - Jan 12, 2010 at 10:29 AM

McGuire didn’t really injure me, so his public apology leaves me cold. But I’m impressed that he sought out people he actually hurt and apologized to them.
    This is what we try to teach our kids. Have you told a child to apologize to someone else and they apologize to you instead? That’s your standard public apology: apologize to the person (or people) who can hurt you, instead of apologizing to the people you hurt.
    When a child does it, we redirect them: “No, you need to say you’re sorry to your brother.” It’s how we teach children empathy.
    I don’t condone McGuire’s use of steroids, but I applaud him for apologizing to the right people. I may even use this as a “teachable moment” with my own kids.

13. EviL EmpireE 2010 - Jan 12, 2010 at 10:46 AM

A-Rod did the right thing as well. Papi was a FRAUD…………..

14. EviL EmpireE 2010 - Jan 12, 2010 at 10:50 AM

” THAT STUFF ” ………… AT THE TIME HE CAME CLEAN I BET MLB AND THE YANKEES AND HIS LAWYERS TOLD HIM NOT TADMIT STEROIDS OR HGH, ONCE YOU DO WITHOUT IMMUNITY, YOUR DEAD.

15. Moses Green - Jan 12, 2010 at 10:59 AM

ExaCK A TicK A LeE

16. mike - Jan 12, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Of course he did steroids. So did most of league. I personally do not care. I am a sports fan. I want to watch the best players playing great ball. In the steroid era we watched great athletes performing like supermen.
    As was stated in the article, Mark did not commit murder. He entertained fans, made a lot of money and owners made a lot of money. As far as I am concerned, no harm, no foul. The only thing that needs to be worked out is the record books. Cherished records have been broken and it is not fair to the previous record holders. Place a star after steroids became common and let everyone know the new record was in the steroid era.

17. JasonC23 - Jan 12, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Moses and weirdly capitalized dude…I understand the legal ramifications of the various apologies. I’m just fascinated by the criteria you’re using to separate good apologies from bad ones.

18. Steve - Jan 12, 2010 at 11:31 AM

After the 1919 Chicago Black Sox Scandal the owners named Judge Kenasaw Mountain Landis the commissioner to clean up baseball. I wish he was here from 1998-2009.
    Roger Maris hit 61 Homeruns in 1961 without performance enhancing drugs. In my opinion that is the ONLY SINGLE SEASON home run record. Roger also won the AL MVP in 1960 and 61. He was an excellent defensive outfielder both for the NY Yankees and St Louis Cardinals and played in several world series for both clubs
    His career was shortened by injuries and that is why he hasn’t been inducted to Cooperstown. It is my opinion that he should be in the Hall of Fame and that McGuire’s performance was augmented by chemicals he used during his prime. Let the voters finally get it right this time. Roger, having died and early death, will never know but it would give the Maris family the pride they deserve.

19. Ron - Jan 12, 2010 at 11:37 AM

I’m glad we all don’t live by you deluded sense of right or wrong. Believe it or not, Soviet Russia wasn’t quite the vacation spot it was made out to be.
    But they did a great job of demanding that everyone think exactly alike and not allow any dissenting opinion. Especially when it was right.

20. PalookaJoe - Jan 12, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I’d be interested to see how the freshly resurrected commissioner dealt with the Buck Weavers of this scandal. Would anyone from that era be eligible after he banned every player who knew of or suspected steroid use but didn’t report it?

21. Moses Green - Jan 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Dearest Ron – I’ve missed you. Just like I miss those dreamy summer nights in Sochi on the beautiful Black Sea. Thank you for reminding me of them. It’s an incredible place to visit, comrade. You also remind me that the people who are shouting the loudest are like the people in church who grouse about the people who only show up on Christmas, and you further remind me that these are always the very same people who cheat on their taxes and spouses, beat their children, condone priestly pedophilia but still feel “forgiven” and therefore free to continue doing whatever they want. May the smug and self-satisfied peace of the self-righteous be with you, brother.

22. Chipmaker - Jan 12, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Giambi didn’t, and still hasn’t, say exactly what he was apologizing for. Why fans continue to fill in the blanks for this fraction of a man is a mystery to me.

23. Moses Green - Jan 12, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Not the Chipmaker from Yahoo Answers? Not that Chipmaker? And yet you sound like him too. There can’t be 2. No, it’s definitely you. It had to be you.
    Respect, Mon.

24. corsair82 - Jan 12, 2010 at 12:38 PM

A Fraud only admitted after being busted.

25. terry - Jan 12, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Yes if we had a commissioner of baseball,istead of this figure head of the owners,we would not have seen this mess to start with! Why doesn’t baseball name an outside person with some respect to the game as commissioner? Maybe someone like Condi Rice or think of someone better,maybe Bill Clinton

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3910)