Aaron and the Maris family forgive McGwire

Jan 12, 2010, 8:55 AM EDT

Hank Aaron on Mark McGwire’s mea culpa:

“I think that it’s wonderful that he did this. It takes a big man to admit this and I want to commend him for that. A
lot of people make mistakes, and for him to stand up and admit what he
has done in the past, I think it’s very admirable.

“As far as I’m concerned he has asked for forgiveness. He
has my forgiveness. If that’s all that stands in the way between him
being inducted into Cooperstown we should all forgive him. He didn’t commit murder. He didn’t commit robbery. He said he took steroids.”

McGwire offered a personal apology to Roger Maris’ widow too. While the family still understandably thinks that Roger should have the record, check out their response:

“He told her he had something to tell her – he just wanted her to
know the news was going to break and that he did do steroids,” Rich
Maris said. “He apologized to her, to my dad, to us kids. That speaks
volumes to the kind of guy he is . . . My mom was very touched by his call. She felt sorry for Mark – that
he’s going through this. She conveyed that we all make mistakes and
move on from there.”

“This [McGwire's steroid use] is something we thought all along. It
wasn’t so much a surprise, but I feel bad for Mark. He’s a very genuine
guy and we’re close to him – we love him like a brother. I’m glad he
got it out.”

Anyone want to bet whether Aaron’s and the Maris family’s responses will shut up the moralizers in the media who claim to be defending the legacy of the home run hitters of yore?  I don’t know about you, but I’m not holding my breath. Outrage is too fun to give up easily.

1. For Him - Jan 12, 2010 at 12:43 PM

In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.

2. YANKEES1996 - Jan 12, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Chipmaker – Just to let you know Jason Giambi did admit to and apologize for using HGH.

3. michael - Jan 12, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I’m glad he came clean so to speak but don’t reward him with a hall of fame induction. that sends the wrong message.

4. Boot - Jan 12, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I defended Sammy Sosa to the end, now I hope he too comes out of the steroid closet. He is going nowhere without a sincere apology.

5. Mel - Jan 12, 2010 at 1:03 PM

So I have a question. He lied to Congress about his steroid use repeatedly…shouldn’t he go to jail for perjury?

6. Ron - Jan 12, 2010 at 1:04 PM

NIce. You attack me and call me names. And when i make a resonse to yu, you accuse me of being a child beater. Thanks for bringing my daughter into the discussion.
    You obviously aren’t enough of a man to handle criticsm, so you feel the need to bring people’s children into the discussion?
    Shows what kind of person you really are. The self-appointed arbiter of all that is wrong or right on this site, and the sole means of approval for posting a comment. If anyonoe dare contradict you or disagree with you, you resort to name calling and personal attacks.
    You’re a sad, pathetic man. When you die all alone in some cut-rate nursing home where no one ever comes to visit you because you’re a bitter old man, just remember it didn’t have to be this way.
    You have the ability to be a decent human being. It’s in all of us. All you have to do is quit being such an ass and accept that other people have an opinion, and the right to express it, without personal attacks.

7. Maingear - Jan 12, 2010 at 1:18 PM

The true measure of McGwire’s moral compass would have been to avoid the lies and fessed up immediately. Roger Maris is the record holder. Period
    What’s next… bionics? 1000 batting seasons? ANYTHING that enhances performance is simply cheating, no better or worse than Pete Rose.

8. Brian - Jan 12, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Give him and who ever else may have come forward a break. Look in the mirror and judge yourself,the problem with this world is everyone is gonna try and judge someone,like i tell my kids your inner circle is the only one who should judge you,and thats if they are sitting at the dinner table in your house eatn every night.the kids at school people at work who cares what they have to say on a negative issue.Life is to short to worry about the next person you really dont even know. GOD IS THE ONLY ONE WHO WILL JUDGE,and everyone will face him sooner or later. BE happy and live life

9. Moses Green - Jan 12, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Can you even read? I didn’t say any of those things about Ron. Get a grip there pal.

10. Moses Green - Jan 12, 2010 at 1:27 PM

A little short on short-term memory too, eh??
    “I’m glad we all don’t live by you deluded sense of right or wrong. Believe it or not, Soviet Russia wasn’t quite the vacation spot it was made out to be.”
    Who could have said that?
    Oh that’s right, Mr. Self-Righteous. Oh heck, why am I bothering, I keep forgetting, Ronnie can’t read.

11. Shawn - Jan 12, 2010 at 1:29 PM

If an earlier poster was referring to McGwire lying to Congress, he never did. He basically pleaded the 5th, therefore no lies told. He did that for fear of prosecution, of either perjury or unloading drug information to the feds.

12. Paul Rifenberg - Jan 12, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Bernie Williams had lasik surgery to see the ball better? Is that considered ‘performance-enhancing” medical treatment? When I am injured, to promote healing my doctor will prescribe steroids. Why is it illegal for an individual whose income requires him to be at peak physical condition, to not be hurt and if so, to heal quickly. . . for him to take steroids? I really don’t understand.

13. boot - Jan 12, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Hey Maingear,
    Don’t use Pete Rose and cheater in the same sentence,some people will misunderstand you. Keep Rose out of this. He bet on his own team winning,thats no big deal to me or lots of others. The Commish looked like a big ass on that one too.
    The Commish needs to be held mostly accountable for this steroid mess. His intentional blinders came back to haunt him and now he scrambles for scapegoats to clear his name. He failed to be the boss.

14. CC - Jan 12, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I agree with you Mike…put an asterisk by his record indicating steroid usage. He was a great player with natural abilities. He did a lot for baseball, and apologized to the “right” people. However long it took and for whatever reasons, Mark McGuire did confess to drug usage – he’s still a great athlete.

15. wilfredo anderson - Jan 12, 2010 at 3:16 PM

So, it seems you have to be a star and establish fame
    to then be confronted ad posteriori with steroid use or other problems-because maybe you did spiton an umpire only once,onlyonce!!in your career ,butyou can spit tobacco in a disgusting and bad taste manner all the year and in the dogout in the field…and
    nobody reprimanded you but because of these past minor faults
    you are denied hall of fame status–whiping out a career ,a very excellent career–is this justified?

16. Heather - Jan 12, 2010 at 7:08 PM

I agree with your statement. You are a smart individual. Too bad everyone wants to bash, point fingers, etc., etc., etc. They should follow your lead!!

17. gowhitten - Jan 13, 2010 at 12:23 AM

WTFC! It is only entertainment.I would be a pretty sorry parent if athletes were my childerns role models. Get over it.

18. El Jimbo - Jan 13, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Count me among the cynics that do not forgive McGwire or any other player that used PED’s. What about the Tony Gwynn’s and Cal Ripken Jr’s of the world that were clean and played the game that way? How much GREATER would they have been if they weren’t facing juiced pitchers, or their teams weren’t losing because McGwire, or Sosa or Bonds crushed another one over the outfield fence?
    No. I don’t forgive these guys. They took away more from the game than they ever gave by tilting the playing field to their advantage illegally and immorally. They took away from the honest players by cheating and they took away from the fans more than they gave.
    McGwire should never be on a HOF ballot, and if he is, he should never get in. The Cardinals should reconsider hiring him as a hitting coach. Pete Rose is out of the game for betting, why should we allow admitted cheaters and drug users back in if Pete is still in exile?

19. hardjuge - Jan 13, 2010 at 12:54 PM

AMEM

20. Rico Them - Jan 14, 2010 at 7:38 PM

I love this place – I’ve bookmarked it and will come back

21. duvet coveres kings size - Jan 19, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Hi there, my mom told me about your site a few weeks ago. and I just love it. I will be subscribing! Thank you!

22. thebernMovie - Jan 20, 2010 at 10:36 AM

#1 read

23. Roy Bari - Jan 24, 2010 at 3:17 AM

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand the value of providing a prime resource for free. I truly loved reading your post. Thanks!

24. Angla Letson - Jan 24, 2010 at 9:22 AM

We just couldnt leave your website before saying that we really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors… Will be back often to check up on new stuff you post!

25. velvet duvet cover - Feb 1, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Woah, I would not have said that if I were you, but this is a pretty good blog post. Perhaps you should let me to write a guest post to express my feelings about the other side of this statement.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate