Jan 12, 2010, 12:05 PM EDT
Yahoo!’s Jeff Passan reports that Aroldis Chapman’s six year contract has an incentive clause in it that could make it a very different deal than it’s currently constructed: If he’s in the Majors by mid-May, it turns into a three-year, $25.25 million deal with three years of arbitration to follow.
I can only assume that Walt Jocketty’s comments yesterday about maybe breaking camp with Chapman were so that later, if Chapman is tearing it up in Louisville or wherever, and the Reds make no move to advance him, it can’t be said that they never had any intention of allowing that clause to be triggered.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)