Jan 12, 2010, 12:05 PM EDT
Yahoo!’s Jeff Passan reports that Aroldis Chapman’s six year contract has an incentive clause in it that could make it a very different deal than it’s currently constructed: If he’s in the Majors by mid-May, it turns into a three-year, $25.25 million deal with three years of arbitration to follow.
I can only assume that Walt Jocketty’s comments yesterday about maybe breaking camp with Chapman were so that later, if Chapman is tearing it up in Louisville or wherever, and the Reds make no move to advance him, it can’t be said that they never had any intention of allowing that clause to be triggered.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)