Bud Selig's steroids 180

Jan 12, 2010, 10:49 AM EST

Jason at IIATMS has an excellent post exposing just how differently Bud Selig, and by extension Major League Baseball, are treating the Mark McGwire business than they treated the Alex Rodriguez business.

My take: Rodriguez and his agent and his contract bug Selig on some primal level, so it’s easy for him to slip into tut-tut mode when he’s involved. McGwire, however, saved Selig’s bacon by helping everyone forget that Selig’s failed bust-the-union gambit cost America a World Series a few years earlier, so he’ll always have a warm place in his heart for Big Mac.

1. YANKEES1996 - Jan 12, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Ever since A-Rod signed his huge contract with the Rangers his every move, every decision has been lived under a microscope. I personally feel sorry for the guy, he is chastised and ridiculed about every thing he does, it has got to seriously suck to be that closely monitored. In 1998 when McGwire did what he did he was only thinking of himself, I would be willing to bet he was not thinking of Bud Selig, baseball as a game or anyone or anything else. If Bud Selig believes that he owes Mac something in his distorted view then that just goes to prove how much better off baseball will be when it finally gets a real commissioner.

2. Union - Jan 12, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Feel sorry for Arod? Good one!

3. Phil - Jan 12, 2010 at 12:55 PM

“In 1998 when McGwire did what he did he was only thinking of himself, I would be willing to bet he was not thinking of Bud Selig, baseball as a game or anyone or anything else.”
    And the altruistic Alex Rodriguez, humanitarian and all-around good guy, was? How’s that work? A-Rod sez to himself that Bud and baseball need a bigger-than-life figure to put the game on his back and carry it to the Promised Land? It’s a tough job but somebody’s gotta do it? And then he plants a big one on the mirror, right?
    Whoops, there I go chastising and ridiculing the poor guy. ;-)

4. YANKEES1996 - Jan 12, 2010 at 2:32 PM

I never said anything about A-Rod being altruistic or a humanitarian, but why is it that the little guys caught up in the steroid mess are never as guilty as A-Rod, Manny, Clemens, and McGwire. I have not seen Selena Roberts or anyone else do stories or write books about Brian Roberts or Migel Tejada or David Ortiz. My point about A-Rod is if the press is going to crucify him then they should extend the same courtesy to all the guys who cheated and lied about it. These guys made mistakes by using steroids and then made another mistake by lying about it, but they did confront the issue and will take their medicine for their mistakes. It always seems as though that A-Rod is the target, he admitted his mistakes and there are so many others that have not it just does not seem right to keep hammering on the guy. The others that have dealt with their demons seem to be pretty much left alone yet there is always some writer or beat reporter who cannot help taking another shot at A-Rod.

5. Phil - Jan 12, 2010 at 3:26 PM

You do understand it’s about selling papers/ratings/page hits? Who’s going to click on a story about Brian Roberts?
    Sure, it’s the contract, NY, the Yankees, A-Rod’s narcissism, A-Rod’s insecurities, playing next to Cap’n Intangibles. Is it fair? Life isn’t, you know. But A-Rod sets himself up for a lot of this when things like that photo shoot get published around the time the steroid allegations break, the tabloid stories break about strip clubs and hookers, he dumps his wife for Madonna, etc. If he really wants off the back page maybe he should lower his outside-the-lines profile.
    He knew – or should have known (or someone who cared about him should have told him) – that the minute he signed that contract he put a target on his back. It’s not fair again, but it is the way it is. If he didn’t want the heat, he should have stayed out of the kitchen.
    It seems like his recent playoff and WS successes have turned that heat down a bit. Besides, his salary will buy a lot of insulation.

6. YANKEES1996 - Jan 12, 2010 at 3:55 PM

I understand everything you pointed out and I do not disagree with your points, however those are s*** reasons to condemn someone.

7. Phil - Jan 12, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Yes, they are. But why single out A-Rod for compassion? It’s the fate of everyone that gets Andy Warhol’s 15 minutes of fame. Look at reality TV. We are a nation addicted to the appeal of schadenfreude. We revel in seeing the powerful, successful and wealthy brought to heel for the same faults we all share.

8. Jason @ IIATMS - Jan 12, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Unless I am misreading, the point of my posting wasn’t to curry sympathy for ARod; it was to highlight the signficantly different tones and thrusts by Commish Selig towards two admitted users.
    Eleven months apart and there’s a huge difference in Selig’s handling and addressing of each admission. I found it more than odd. Has almost nothing to do with ARod, per se. Basically zero. This is a Selig issue first and foremost.

9. YANKEES1996 - Jan 12, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Do me a favor do not count me among the masses I HATE REALITY T.V., all of it. I will tell you this as well, very rarely do the wealthy and famous and powerful get brought to heel for anything they do. The wealthy, famous and powerful never answer for anything they do whether it is illegal or immoral. So, if we are a society that revels in this we are doing a damn poor job of it! I would just as soon see the laws applied fairly to everyone instead of just those who cannot afford to pay their way out, or hire some lying attorney that deflects the blame for the trouble somewhere else and then blames it on some other set of conditions or circumstances that has nothing to do with the original offense. Lastly, why single out A-Rod for compassion, I like the guy, o.k I hear you he cheated and lied also, but he fessed up and apologized to his teammates as well and I don’t think he should be in the HOF either but he is a great player and he is going to have to live with his indiscretions.

10. YANKEES1996 - Jan 12, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Jason – Your point is well taken and I think baseball will be much better off when Bud Selig no longer sits in the Commissioners chair. But this is about his treatment of two players in different circumstances being guilty of the same offence. It seems pretty clear that as far as Mr.Selig is concerned McGwire deserves compassion, respect and his endearment as Commissioner for SAVING baseball. The comments that Mr.Selig made about A-Rod disgracing the game clearly represent to me that Mr.Selig was attempting to shame A-Rod while trying to condone or relieve the actions of Mark McGwire. The comissioners office under Bud Selig has been nothing short of a disgrace, and as you said in your article shame on you Mr.Selig. There is absolutley no doubt in my mind that Mr.Selig knew what was going on in locker rooms during those times and chose to ignore it. He is not the only guilty party however, among the guilty you can name the managers, general managers and clubhouse staff as well, they all knew and they all chose to keep the dirty little secret quite while the game flourished. Now it is time to pay the piper and there is a man in the Commissioners office who cannot handle the revelations in a consistent manner and that is truly ashame.

11. Phil - Jan 12, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Jason,
    Where did I say it was? All of my posts are in response to comments by YANKEES1996.

12. Phil - Jan 12, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Easy, my comments were general ones.
    Don’t confuse the delight we as a culture take when someone like A-Rod is shown to have feet of clay with the idea that there’s actually justice in this world. Like the old jailhouse saw says, the definition of capital punishment means them thats got the capital don’t get the punishment.
    It’s clear you like A-Rod so kudos for having his back. Frankly, I feel a little sorry for the guy too. It’s clear he desperately wants to be liked and accepted, yet in pursuit of that goal he always seems to put a foot wrong and come across as a phony. Must be doubly difficult when the media creation to his left on the field gets all that for just flashing his pearly whites.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3268)
  2. J. Kang (3105)
  3. C. McGehee (2818)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2801)
  5. J. Upton (2792)