Jan 12, 2010, 10:29 PM EST
Come buy an A-Rod souvenir! This from AP:
The ball Alex Rodriguez hit for his 500th home run will be auctioned off online.
SCP Auctions said bidding will begin Jan. 20 for the ball recovered by a college student at the old Yankee Stadium when A-Rod hit No. 500 on Aug. 4, 2007.
Considering A-Rod will probably hit at least another 300 home runs in his career – provided he stays healthy and avoids Madonna (is that redundant?) – buying his 500th home run ball will be the equivalent of purchasing, from a math standpoint anyway, Walt Weiss’ milestone 16th home run ball.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)