Congress is not going to get involved in the McGwire business

Jan 12, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT

I only mention this because, just like the will-Bonds-be-the-next-to-apologize thing, tons of people are asking me if I think Congress will get back into the steroids thing in light of Mark McGwire’s admission.

No and no.

The first no is based on the legalities involved. The only reason they’d have to haul McGwire back or to have him investigated or what have you is for perjury. Anyone who spent any time looking back at the tapes of McGwire’s 2005 testimony, however, quickly realizes that there’s no basis for even the suggestion of perjury. He didn’t say anything. If there was any hope at all that he’d be legally scrutinized over his statements, that hope was dashed when the House committee refused to follow up or compel him to either testify or take the Fifth Amendment.   You can view this one of two ways: (1) Congress abdicating its duty to find the facts it purported to be trying to find that day; or (2) Congress tacitly acknowledging that the purpose of that hearing was grandstanding and nothing more. Either way, the ship has sailed.

The second no comes from the statements of the two men in charge of that hearing, Committee chair Tom Davis and ranking Democrat Henry Waxman.  First Davis:

”He looked ridiculous to most of the public, but he didn’t have many
good options. We put him in a pretty tight spot. He was candid and
honest in our interrogation of him.”

Some interrogation. I’ve seen Larry King get tougher on a Gabor sister.  Here’s Waxman:

“Mark McGwire is doing the right thing by telling the truth about his
steroid use. His statement sends an important message to kids about the
importance of avoiding steroids.”

Congress should never have gotten involved in this in the first place. They did anyway, but at least now, at long last, they realize that it’s time to stay out of it.

1. Grant - Jan 12, 2010 at 1:42 PM

“His statement sends an important message to kids about the importance of avoiding steroids.”

What message is that, exactly? I don’t particularly care about steroids, and I especially don’t care about “think of the children” arguments, but surely no one can suggest that the contours of Mark McGwire’s life offer anything other than a strong argument in favor of steroids. The man is a multimillionaire due to some more or less degree to his steroid use. The only negative consequence so far appears to be his not being in the Hall. And if you believe, as many seem to, that steroids allowed him to put up his ridiculous numbers anyway, then he wouldn’t be in the Hall discussion without them anyway.

Until Big Mac up and dies early from some steroid-related cancer or something, I really don’t see how you can say he represents anything but a steroid success story.

2. Bear - Jan 12, 2010 at 2:44 PM

According to this article :http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/01/11/mcgwire.congressman.ap/index.html?eref=sihp. Tom Davis met with McGwire for 3 hours before the hearings.
    I believe that is what he was referring to when he said:”He looked ridiculous to most of the public, but he didn’t have many good options. We put him in a pretty tight spot. He was candid and honest in our interrogation of him.”
    Would be interesting to hear what was said in this meeting. I can’t imagine a reason he wouldn’t have been granted immunity so he could tell the truth. Also, I would like someone to push the issue to the MLB again – regarding the FBI talking to them about steroid use in the game after they completed operation Equine. MLB has denied the received this info.

3. Shely - Jan 12, 2010 at 3:18 PM

It wasn’t all good. he probably cut his career short with the joint destruction caused by the roids. He had trouble standing like Barry Bonds did, after years fo that stuff.

4. Grant - Jan 12, 2010 at 4:28 PM

We’re sure that his joint problems are from steroids? Lots of athletes have bad joints – it takes an unnatural amount of torque to throw a ball and swing a bat.

Even allowing for joint problems, steroids are still looking pretty good from Mac’s example…

5. Old Gator - Jan 12, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Congress should never have gotten involved in this? Why not? They got involved in the Tonkin Gulf Resolution, didn’t they? And did they backtrack and correct that????

6. Craig Calcaterra - Jan 12, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Yeah, but this is going to last longer than Vietnam. And may be a bigger drag.

7. coffee beans - Jan 21, 2010 at 6:02 PM

You have a interesting posting. I liked reading it very much. Thanks keep up the great work.

8. Burton Haynes - Jan 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Oh my god you’ll not belief that. This silly dog actually farted on my knee!? I mean what is the problem with this!? I give food to this thing and I get this in return. I still can not belief that. After all, you have got quite a few interesting info there in your posting. I knew Yahoo could bring me to some fascinating stuff today :) . Alright should search this creature now! Have a nice day you all!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5057)