Jan 12, 2010, 7:45 AM EDT
CORRECTION: While one of the parties to the bid was, indeed, unsuccessful in the first round of the bidding, I was mistaken in assuming that it had to be either Crane of Gilbert. The first round of bidding was actually a letter-bid submission round from last September, which included as many as six interested parties. The Crane-Gilbert-Greenberg round, while referred to as the preliminary round in most media reports, was really the second round. Upshot: the guy who lost out on the Rangers but is now in on the Astros doesn’t have to be either Gilbert or Crane. Could be any of six folks, actually.
7:45 A.M.: As was reported last night, Drayton McLane has signed a working letter of intent to enter into negotiations to sell the Astros. The group of prospective buyers is reported to be a mix of local and out-of-town investors. This morning’s Houston Chronicle identifies part of that group: former United States Olympic Committee chief and former president of the International Baseball Federation, Harvey Schiller. The other is an unidentified New York investment banker.
As for other parties to the bid? A source tells me that one of the is one of the bidders who didn’t make the second round of the Texas Rangers sale. As has been widely reported, Houston businessman Jim Crane was in that group. The same Crane who was reported to have “had a handshake deal” to buy the Astros in the past. Given that Schiller and the investment banker are New Yorkers, it’s possible that Crane represents the “local interests” mentioned in last night’s report. The other Rangers bidder was former agent Dennis Gilbert.
If I had to guess, I’d say that Crane is involved with the Schiller-investment banker people, simply due to the fact that he almost bought the team in the past. For now, however, the process is reported to be in the earliest stages, and McClane may decide that he doesn’t want to sell.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 9
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)