Jan 12, 2010, 11:36 AM EDT
The Cubs are reportedly interested in Ben Sheets who, in turn, is interested in playing for the Cubs. I love it when true love blooms. The problem: Sheets reportedly has been asking for a two-year deal averaging around
$10 million to $12 million per year.
The Cubs would be right to balk at such an asking price for a guy coming off injuries like Sheets is, but then again, the Cubs are paying Carlos Silva $8 million per for the next couple of years, so who are they to judge.
Seriously though, Sheets may be the best choice for a team really looking to make a move next season. Obviously there are still questions about his arm, but it’s not like he’s coming off Tommy John surgery. He could easily get hurt again, but if he doesn’t he could easily be a front of the rotation starter again. Given the gamble he represents, anyone who goes for Sheets would have to have the financial wherewithal to absorb his loss if and when it happens, but I think the Cubs fit that category. So too do the Phillies and the Mets who have also been rumored to be talking to Sheets’ agent.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)