Jan 12, 2010, 11:36 AM EDT
The Cubs are reportedly interested in Ben Sheets who, in turn, is interested in playing for the Cubs. I love it when true love blooms. The problem: Sheets reportedly has been asking for a two-year deal averaging around
$10 million to $12 million per year.
The Cubs would be right to balk at such an asking price for a guy coming off injuries like Sheets is, but then again, the Cubs are paying Carlos Silva $8 million per for the next couple of years, so who are they to judge.
Seriously though, Sheets may be the best choice for a team really looking to make a move next season. Obviously there are still questions about his arm, but it’s not like he’s coming off Tommy John surgery. He could easily get hurt again, but if he doesn’t he could easily be a front of the rotation starter again. Given the gamble he represents, anyone who goes for Sheets would have to have the financial wherewithal to absorb his loss if and when it happens, but I think the Cubs fit that category. So too do the Phillies and the Mets who have also been rumored to be talking to Sheets’ agent.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 7
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 12
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 133
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (133)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)