The party hasn't started until Canseco shows up

Jan 12, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT

I’m surprised it took him a day to find a microphone.  Anyway, you’ve been right more than you’ve been wrong about this Jose, so you’re probably entitled to a few minutes of the floor:

“I’ve got no problems with a few of the things he’s saying, but again,
it’s ironic and strange that Mark McGwire denies that I injected him
with steroids. He’s calling me a liar again.  I’ve defended Mark, I’ve said a lot of good things about him, but I can’t believe he just called me a liar. There is something very strange going on here, and I’m wondering what
it is. I even polygraphed that subject matter, that I injected him, and
passed it completely. So I want to challenge him on national TV to a
polygraph examination. I want to see him call me a liar under a
polygraph examination.”

Maybe Canseco is telling the truth about this, but allow me to ask: does anyone, even the most passionate anti-steroid crusader, care about the specific mode of injection?  I’m willing to live with a half-truth regarding one man injecting another in a bathroom stall. Aren’t you?  And I think Jose said too much with the national TV thing. His biggest weakness in all of his truth telling is that he’s been seen as being far more interested in making a buck and getting attention out of it than in doing what’s right for baseball.  He pretty much admits that here.

Canseco is also miffed at La Russa’s claim that he didn’t know McGwire did steroids until yesterday:

“That’s a blatant lie.  Tony La Russa was quoted as
saying that I was using steroids back then, and I was talking about it
in the clubhouse, openly. That’s a blatant lie. There are
some things here that are so ridiculous, and so disrespectful for the
public and the media to believe. I just can’t believe it. I’m in total
shock. These guys remind me of politicians that go up and just lie to
the public and expect to get elected.”

I’m with Canseco here. La Russa had one of the most steroid-happy locker rooms around, in two cities no less, with the most brazen user of them all in Canseco under his supervision.  He has always played dumb and no one has ever taken him to task over it.  If a manager is as ignorant about what goes on in his clubhouse as La Russa claims to have been he wouldn’t be able to fill out a lineup card because the players would be total strangers to him. Good for Canseco for saying this. I wish someone who wasn’t such a freakshow would repeat it.

Canseco also hates having to defend himself over all of the claims he has made:

“I’m tired of justifying what I’ve said. I’ve
polygraphed, I’ve proven that I’m 100 percent accurate. I never
exaggerated. I told it the way it actually happened. I’m the only one
who has told it the way it actually happened. Major League Baseball is
still trying to defend itself. It’s strange. All I have is the truth,
and I’ve proven that.”

To my knowledge, nothing Canseco has said has been proven wrong. At least nothing major, so he has a point.  Still, as all of today’s outrage over McGwire’s apology makes plain, to most of the media and to a certain vocal brand of fan, it’s not what you say, it’s how and why you say it.

McGwire catches hell for only apologizing because he wants a job and for not following the specific remorse regimen that the public allegedly demands. By the same token, Canseco only came out with his steroids stuff when he was at the end of his career, found himself in desperate financial straits and needed to make some money.  It’s a free country, so he can do what he wants along those lines, but he shouldn’t act surprised when he’s not embraced with open arms.

Finally, Canseco takes on the Hall of Fame:

“This is
far from over. There’s a list out there of [103] players. The last five
to eight years there may have been some players elected to the Hall of
Fame that were on that list. Nonetheless, if that list is not divulged,
there will continuously be players who are inducted into the Hall of
Fame who will probably be on that list.”

I wonder if this isn’t some backtracking on Canseco’s part. He has said in the past that there is definitely someone in the Hall of Fame who has used steroids. I agree that the odds favor a PED user in Cooperstown, but Canseco has always acted like he’s known the player’s name. Now it sounds like maybe he doesn’t.

Oh well. I think my headline is wrong here. Canseco showing up doesn’t represent the start of the party. At least not anymore. He’s now more like the fat lady singing. He may have hit the right notes a few times here — but it’s over. What else more is there to say?

1. edgy1957 - Jan 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Let’s not forget that after Outside The Lines did a piece on how ADHD drugs helped Adam LaRoche, there’s been a big increase in guys being diagnosed and treated with the same drugs (and they’re getting exceptions to the drug policy for it). I can’t help but think that if Barry Bonds had been the subject of the story that ESPN wouldn’t have been so sympathetic and they’d have been leading the lynch mob to go after him and shut down this source of PED.

2. Rob - Jan 12, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Lots of people blasted Canseco but as we learn more he was the one telling the truth all along and its these other folks who blasted Jose that are the ones who are ending up having to “explain” themselves…

3. Over-it - Jan 12, 2010 at 6:10 PM

He may not be doing Steroids or HGH, but McGwire has moved on to bigger and getter things, i.e. Estrogen. I’m tired of athletes crying while telling everyone how sorry they are.

4. stargatebabe - Jan 12, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Canseco is just like everyone else, including the media – he heard what he wanted to hear so he could get an additional 15 minutes of fame

5. willmose - Jan 12, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Canseco and the truth. That’s the only time those two have been together in the same sentence. Canseco is a selective truth teller, he is only telling the truth if it is a self-serving lie. I have no idea how you tell if Canseco is telling the truth or not. McGwire did not lie about steriods to Congress. Why didn’t McGwire want to talk about steriods? Because the scum of the earth and their buddies, sportswriters, get to play holier than thou about it when, of course, they were in cahoots.

6. Bill Beeman - Jan 12, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Canseco deserves a little more respect than he gets. Even this article written it in a way to give back handed complements to Canseco. In an age when people rarely tell the truth I respect him for opening up. Candidly this would have never been a story if other players did the same thing.
    I like McGuire and sad that it took him this long to open up. Candidly he could have made it go away a long time ago if he told the truth in front of Congress. Water under the bridge.
    Thank you Canseco for telling the truth!

7. ohlee - Jan 12, 2010 at 6:28 PM

I agree, with one exception: Joe Jackson was not motivated, nor did he play for “greed, ambition and the profit motive.”

8. phil weirick - Jan 12, 2010 at 6:28 PM

” WHAT PEOPLE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT AND NO-ONE IS TALKING ABOUT IS THIS.AT LEAST 70 PERCENT OF THE MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYERS IN THAT 90′S ERA WERE SUBJECT TO AND DID STERIODS AND P.A.DRUGS.MARK MCQUIRE IS BEING A SCAPE GOAT FOR THE M.B.L.”S/,HIDDEN AGENDA, MAYBE OHE THAT EVEN THEY DIDNT KNOW THAT THEY WERE A PARTY TO.SIMPLE NUMBERS AND NON INFORMATION INTO WHAT WILL HAPEEN IN THIS CIRCUMSTANCE. EVERY PARTICIPANT DOESNT MATTER. THERE WILL ALWAYS BE NUMBERS THAT ARE REPLACEBLE, AND ITS ALL A VICIUOS CYCLE

9. edgy1957 - Jan 12, 2010 at 6:32 PM

They wouldn’t be crying except for people like you (media and fans). Most of the old-timers are hiding their use of greenies so they can play “holier-than-thou” and the media and the fans are letting them get away with it. If anyone believes that greenies weren’t a problem in baseball for decades, I invite them to read Ball Four and then imagine that happening on all the teams in the majors. If someone were to postulate that injecting beaver urine would give them 10 mph on their fastball or add 5 more home runs to their totals, they’d ALL beat down the door to get to the doctor to get injected.
    What makes me laugh is how some of the same people who are keeping McGwire out didn’t call for pulling Whitey Ford and Gaylord Perry out of the HOF after they admitted what everyone suspected: they were doing things to the ball to him them win. H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T-E-S.

10. NRESQ - Jan 12, 2010 at 6:40 PM

For all the nitwits on this blog who say PED’s don’t matter and we should all move on, look at how the Olympics handles cheaters: They take back the medal(s) and erase the records(s). Its because the athletes CHEATED, get it? They had an unfair advantage. Think about the sucker-athletes who didn’t use PED’s; they lost out on millions. As for all the knuckleheads who say, duh, PED’s don’t help you take a round bat and hit a round ball (i.e. hand-eye coordination), you obviously never played the game. Its a 162 games over a 7 month season with about 6 days off total. Bodies wear down and wear out, and players get injured. PED’s mask that, and HGH allows unnaturally rapid healing from injuries, muscle tears, etc. (That’s the excuse everyone’s using for taking PED’S). Thus, PED-users like Bonds and McGuire hit WAY MORE home runs in the second half of the season than anyone at the time, or anyone ever has in the past. As the man said, “You could look it up.” All of these so-called records and cheaters, to the extent they are recognized at all, should be grouped together in the PED wing of the HOF. The rest of the HOF should be reserved for those who did it naturally. That’s what would happen if MLB had a REAL commissioner.

11. Jim Smith - Jan 12, 2010 at 6:57 PM

@ecp and others pointing out inconsistencies in Craig Calcaterra ‘s articles:
    This is just further proof that Craig Calcaterra does not research what he is writing about. He is a mediocre writer and he has no research skills. This equals unemployment soon.

12. Scott Johnson - Jan 12, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Please, Oh Please let Albert Pujols be clean.. we need at least one superstar this era
    that did it the right way !

13. Lynn VB - Jan 12, 2010 at 7:17 PM

This is why I quit watching baseball 10 years ago. It used to be my favorite sport to play & watch. Juicing & cheating did it for me. All of the baseball records for the last 20 years should be expunged and not one from this period allowed into the Hall of Fame.

14. ibstone - Jan 12, 2010 at 7:59 PM

i am sick of this stuff already hitters pitchers fielders they all did it let it be if you hav the numbers you belong in the hall canseco has around 475 homeruns thaty close to a bunch of hall of famers who are in every era found an edge and took advantage of it

15. seriously? - Jan 12, 2010 at 8:34 PM

You’re dreaming on this one – Albert surely is dirty.

16. edgy1957 - Jan 12, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Believe what you want but he IS dirty. He just hasn’t been caught or outed yet…

17. Jim1963 - Jan 12, 2010 at 9:16 PM

This is why Major League Baseball is dead to me.

18. Moses Green - Jan 12, 2010 at 9:33 PM

This thing on? I’d just like to say, I hope someday to see Big Mac’s shiny white ass again. And by the way, the curtains match the drapes.

19. SRogers - Jan 12, 2010 at 10:19 PM

You people are just pissed because when Canseco opened up about this a long time ago, you were the first to stand up to defend the guys you secretly have wet dreams about (i.e. McGwire, Sosa, ARod, Bonds, etc…). Now you find out he was telling the truth the whole time and, as expected, you’re trying to find a way to shoot the messenger. God I love this country…sigh.

20. Moses Green - Jan 12, 2010 at 10:29 PM

It’s funny you should mention that SRogers, because the first time Canseco opened his mouth, as a former elite athlete and having grown up working out in the same Connecticut hole-in-the-wall gym with Bill Romanowski (I swear to God, his steroid-bloated picture was on the wall and his pusher-minions called me and my buddies the “stick brigade”) I thought to myself – He’s probably understating the problem.

21. Roger1 - Jan 12, 2010 at 11:40 PM

HGH has been known to improve eyesight, and when u can improve certain muscles that allow for icreased bat speed and quicker muscle reaction time …u may be able to wait a bit longer to identify a certain pitch. Guys who had warning track power are now 25 HR guys. Plenty of PED userers that aren’t hitting 40 plus HRs, guys that hit 8-9 could now hit 20ish….still can’t understand why some still think the drugs don’t help, they wouldn’t take them if they didn’t….

22. wallstreetponziteam - Jan 13, 2010 at 2:32 AM

ALBERT BELLE WAS 180 IN HIS SENIOR YEAR IN COLLEGE, HE WENT UP TO 235. THAT’S 55 POUNDS OF MUSCLE, OVER 25% OF HIS ORIGINAL BODY WEIGHT. THEN HIS HIP BROKE DOWN AND HE NEVER PLAYED AGAIN. HE IS THE ALL TIME ROID FREAK OR BASEBALL.MCGWIRE WAS 235 HIS FIRST YEAR IN THE LEAGUE, THEN HE WENT TO 265, A MUCH SMALLER GAIN THAN BELLE. JOSE NEVER MENTIONED BELLE, WONDER WHY.

23. keilly - Jan 13, 2010 at 3:06 AM

I think its shite.. that McGuire finally wants to tell the truth.. so who really has the proof??? obviously someone does.. so he has to come out first.. but the sad part is.. Jose….. You know.. maybe he did need the money.. maybe he flipped on his “so called friends..”” but at the end of the day.. Jose wasnt lying.. he was cast as the baseball trader.. and everyone wanted to believe good ole mark.. no way.. jose needs money.. he must need attention..he has to be lying.. wow.. here we are.. and whos the liar?? not jose canseco… MARK MCGUIRE… and probably all the rest on the list… I appologize Jose.. hope u except.. xoxo

24. cubfan48 - Jan 13, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Phil W. – please go take an English/spelling course. Thank you.

25. cubfan48 - Jan 13, 2010 at 9:04 AM

I’m with you – and for all of you who say that Albert Pujols “surely is dirty” – I hope you have to eat your words. Obviously I am not a Cardinal fan – but I am an Albert Pujols fan and I will believe the best about him until proven otherwise. He is a wonderful player and appears to be a wonderful man – so hope he can hold up under the pressure from nay sayers.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet