Brett Myers vows to "stick it" to the Phillies

Jan 13, 2010, 1:36 PM EDT

You don’t hear too much of this kind of sentiment in today’s age of constant player movement and polished p.r., but thank goodness for Brett Myers for keeping things interesting:

“I wanted to go back to Philadelphia, but they didn’t show an
interest, they had other obligations, which is fine with me,” Myers
said. He then promised to “stick it” to the Phillies every time he
faces them.

The Phillies face the Astros in their second series of the season.  I guess we’ll see if, say, Placido Polanco’s head is forced to pay for Ruben Amaro’s (imagined) sins.

1. Old Gator - Jan 13, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I, uh, suspect that from what little I know of Placido Polanco, his skull will write a check that his helmet can’t cash. And from what I have seen of Brett Myers, I also suspect that anything thrown at Polanco’s head will actually travel down the heart of the plate and wind up beaning some clown in the bleachers who’s absorbed too much Texas tea to get out of the way in time.

2. Jonny5 - Jan 13, 2010 at 1:51 PM

He’s their problem now… Muha… Muaha…Muahahahahahaha!!!! (enter lightning and thunder)
    I suspect he’ll be hit around by most of the Phillies line up. He’s a better closer than a SP.

3. Levi Stahl - Jan 13, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I’m with Old Gator: Polanco has one of the squarest-shaped, most solid-looking heads in the history of baseball. He’s the only competition that immediately comes to mind for his long-ago predecessor at the hot corner in Philly, Dave Hollins.

4. Moses Green - Jan 13, 2010 at 1:58 PM

When Polanco is done he has a career as a walking no-hands beer tray lined up.

5. Jonny5 - Jan 13, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Polanco will be the only Phillies player who’s bobble head doll will be scaled correctly to his true to life head to body ratio. I can’t wait to get mine!!!!!

6. TRoshford - Jan 13, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Brett Myers beats his wife.

7. Zonebrick - Jan 13, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Every day? Why doesn’t she say, call the cops and put him in jail?

8. TRoshford - Jan 13, 2010 at 2:48 PM

this might clear it up.

9. Utley's hair - Jan 13, 2010 at 2:50 PM

I hope good ole Eddie Wade inserted a clause banning Myers’ kid’s toys from the car after the ever-present no-trade clause. I will say that Myers had his good days, but he was quite the hot head—just ask Kim and that reporter.

10. Michael - Jan 13, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Myers hands us an awesome line to work with and this is all we get?
    Even “Brett Myers can stick it, all right” or “What, like he stuck it to his wife?” would be acceptable responses.
    I think Myers owes the Phillies his career – they worked quickly to whitewash his (very public) assault on his wife and get him back in the rotation.
    Obviously the team doesn’t feel he’s fixed his anger-management issues enough to gamble on his marginal talent any further, and by the looks of this, they’re right.

Three legends off to Cooperstown