Jan 13, 2010, 12:34 AM EDT
(kudos to Dan Lamothe at Red Sox Monster)
We all know that celebrities use talk shows to promote things they are selling to the public, whether movies, or music, or, as in Ortiz’s case, a line of hot sauce.
But you’d think that on the day Mark McGwire admitted taking steroids, a prominent baseball player like Ortiz – who has himself been implicated in the use of performance-enhancing drugs – might have something to say on the topic. Or at least ask him about it and deal with the brush-off. You know Letterman would ask five or 10 times before giving up or running out of time.
But Fallon, as lovable and irrepressibly charming as he is, either was unable – or unwilling – to ask Ortiz any questions of substance. Instead he fawned over his Boston Red Sox hero, talked about the movie Fever Pitch, and generally wasted time.
Actual sequence from interview:
Ortiz: We have two more (hot sauce flavors) coming out.
Fallon: Two more? (stunned) Oh my gosh.
Wow. That’s some good stuff.
By the way, the fellas on Morning Joe had Papi on Tuesday morning (enough with the hot sauce!) and they managed to ask him about McGwire. Ortiz didn’t say a whole lot, but at least they tried. See Jimmy, that wasn’t so hard. He didn’t even get mad!
Watch the video below:
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 76
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)