Jan 13, 2010, 3:56 PM EDT
Remember how Pablo Sandoval was embarking on that uber-workout regimen and was gonna be all lean and mean next season? Yeah, well about that . . .
Pablo Sandoval has gained weight while playing in Venezuela, Sabean
acknowledged. “But not enough to worry about,” he sid. Sabean had a
long conversation with trainer Dave Groeschner yesterday. They have a
target weight for Sandoval — 250 pounds, so I hear — and Sandoval is
committed to being at that weight on opening day.
Color me dubious. 250 was the goal weight back when everyone was all optimistic at the dawn of Camp Panda. Now that he’s been on the Arepa Express for a couple of months, you’d have to figure that he’s gonna come in north of that. Not that I can blame him. I love, love love a good arepa.
At any rate, now that Aubrey Huff is in town and penciled in as the first baseman, the Panda is going to have to stay spry as he stays at third base. Good luck with that, Pablo.
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 0
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 22
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 68
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)