Jan 13, 2010, 9:53 AM EDT
Dejan tweets that the physical is done and the ink has been applied to the contract between Church and the Pirates.
The deal is a one-year, $1.5MM agreement with up to $1.32MM in plate appearance-based incentives, with 600 plate appearances meaning he’ll have realized a raise from last year. Given that the Pirates have said that they’re wanting to use him as something of a swingman, I’m seriously doubting he’ll get the plate appearances, however.
Given this signing, Rick Ankiel may have better luck trying to shop himself as a reliever at this point than an outfielder, because he’s running out of potential landing pads.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)