Jan 13, 2010, 9:53 AM EDT
Dejan tweets that the physical is done and the ink has been applied to the contract between Church and the Pirates.
The deal is a one-year, $1.5MM agreement with up to $1.32MM in plate appearance-based incentives, with 600 plate appearances meaning he’ll have realized a raise from last year. Given that the Pirates have said that they’re wanting to use him as something of a swingman, I’m seriously doubting he’ll get the plate appearances, however.
Given this signing, Rick Ankiel may have better luck trying to shop himself as a reliever at this point than an outfielder, because he’s running out of potential landing pads.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)