Jan 13, 2010, 9:32 AM EDT
This is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but I’ve been thinking a bit about the timing of Mark McGwire’s little coming out party. Obviously his hiring meant that he had to talk about all of this, but when was the best time?
He was hired in October. Major League Baseball probably would have got mad if he brought this circus down during the playoffs and World Series, so that’s out. It was reported in yesterday’s New York Times that he didn’t want to do it before last week’s Hall of Fame announcement, because “because he did not want to appear as if he were trying to affect his chances of getting into the Hall of Fame.” That makes sense too, so cross off the rest of November and December. If he had gone too long beyond now it would have been getting pretty close to spring training, and people would have increasingly wondered when he was going to talk.
I guess, then, that Monday was as good a time as any. Which is kind of a bummer for me, because I was thinking of starting a rumor that Bill DeWitt demanded that he talk now in order to draw attention away from the fact that he got schooled by Boras in the Matt Holliday negotiations. Oh well.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)