Jan 13, 2010, 9:32 AM EDT
This is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but I’ve been thinking a bit about the timing of Mark McGwire’s little coming out party. Obviously his hiring meant that he had to talk about all of this, but when was the best time?
He was hired in October. Major League Baseball probably would have got mad if he brought this circus down during the playoffs and World Series, so that’s out. It was reported in yesterday’s New York Times that he didn’t want to do it before last week’s Hall of Fame announcement, because “because he did not want to appear as if he were trying to affect his chances of getting into the Hall of Fame.” That makes sense too, so cross off the rest of November and December. If he had gone too long beyond now it would have been getting pretty close to spring training, and people would have increasingly wondered when he was going to talk.
I guess, then, that Monday was as good a time as any. Which is kind of a bummer for me, because I was thinking of starting a rumor that Bill DeWitt demanded that he talk now in order to draw attention away from the fact that he got schooled by Boras in the Matt Holliday negotiations. Oh well.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 10
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)