Jan 13, 2010, 9:07 PM EST
The Detroit Tigers are making a bit of noise today regarding their bullpen situation.
First, Jason Beck of MLB.com tweets that they have avoided arbitration with reliever Joel Zumaya, signing him to a one-year contract at undisclosed terms (he made $735,000 last season).
Zumaya, a strikeout and walk machine who battled injuries all of last season — and once hurt himself playing Guitar Hero — figures to be the leading candidate to land Detroit’s closer job after Fernando Rodney wisely took an insane offer to join the Angels.
Don’t pencil Zumaya into that spot just yet, however. Jon Paul Morosi at Fox reports that the Tigers “are believed to have the biggest current offer out to free-agent closer Jose Valverde.”
He also writes that the sides aren’t close to an agreement, though. Despite leading the NL in saves in both 2007 and 2008, the market just hasn’t been there for Valverde this offseason, so the Tigers might be in good shape to land him if they just stay patient.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)