Jan 13, 2010, 9:07 PM EDT
The Detroit Tigers are making a bit of noise today regarding their bullpen situation.
First, Jason Beck of MLB.com tweets that they have avoided arbitration with reliever Joel Zumaya, signing him to a one-year contract at undisclosed terms (he made $735,000 last season).
Zumaya, a strikeout and walk machine who battled injuries all of last season — and once hurt himself playing Guitar Hero — figures to be the leading candidate to land Detroit’s closer job after Fernando Rodney wisely took an insane offer to join the Angels.
Don’t pencil Zumaya into that spot just yet, however. Jon Paul Morosi at Fox reports that the Tigers “are believed to have the biggest current offer out to free-agent closer Jose Valverde.”
He also writes that the sides aren’t close to an agreement, though. Despite leading the NL in saves in both 2007 and 2008, the market just hasn’t been there for Valverde this offseason, so the Tigers might be in good shape to land him if they just stay patient.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)