Jan 14, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Tim Kurkjian reports that Ben Sheets is tan, rested and ready:
“That was my first summer off. No baseball player can even remember the
last summer he had off. I did July 4th and Labor Day with the family.
The time off refreshed me. It made me realize how much I love baseball.
I missed the camaraderie with the guys. I feel fantastic . . . It was frustrating not being able to play, but it made me want to play even more in the 2010 season.”
His first step towards that goal comes Tuesday when Sheets is going to audition for anyone who might be interested at the University of Louisiana at Monroe. Sheets claims to be healthy and says that “they’re going to like what they see.”
Lots of teams are likely interested, including the Mets, Phillies and if they have any brains, the Dodgers. Kurjian says, however, that Seattle may be a dark horse, given Sheets’ relationship with GM Jack Zduriencik, who used to be in Milwaukee.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)