Jan 14, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Tim Kurkjian reports that Ben Sheets is tan, rested and ready:
“That was my first summer off. No baseball player can even remember the
last summer he had off. I did July 4th and Labor Day with the family.
The time off refreshed me. It made me realize how much I love baseball.
I missed the camaraderie with the guys. I feel fantastic . . . It was frustrating not being able to play, but it made me want to play even more in the 2010 season.”
His first step towards that goal comes Tuesday when Sheets is going to audition for anyone who might be interested at the University of Louisiana at Monroe. Sheets claims to be healthy and says that “they’re going to like what they see.”
Lots of teams are likely interested, including the Mets, Phillies and if they have any brains, the Dodgers. Kurjian says, however, that Seattle may be a dark horse, given Sheets’ relationship with GM Jack Zduriencik, who used to be in Milwaukee.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)