Mets are "disappointed" in Beltran; won't take any further action

Jan 14, 2010, 3:05 PM EST

UPDATE:  The Mets have spoken.  Assistant GM John Rico says that they say that they had the conversations with Boras, but that “the conversation
with Scott was very direct in we said we do not want him to
have surgery until we’ve reviewed the info.” Ricco said that the team wanted a “third opinion.”  They are “disappointed” in Beltran for getting the surgery without team consent, but that they will not file any sort of grievance or otherwise take action against Beltran or Boras or anyone.

At this point I’d call it case-closed. Bad communication on each side, it would seem, and perhaps a bit of mistrust of the Mets and their medical staff on behalf of Beltran and Boras.  At this point, however, I think the Mets will let this go completely as long as they have a healthy and productive Carlos Beltran come, say, May.

1:59 P.M:  Boras is awesome for getting ahead of the news. In about, oh, a minute, the Mets are holding a conference call to address the Carlos Beltran situation.  Presumably they’re still upset and will explain why. Boras preempts them with this:

Scott Boras told me the office for Dr. Richard Steadman, the surgeon
who performed Carlo Beltran’s knee surgery, received workman’s
compensation paperwork to pay for the procedure from Mets’ trainer Ray
Ramirez.

“The Mets gave consent to pay for the surgery,” Boras said.

Boras also said he had conversations on Tuesday with both Jeff Wilpon
and Omar Minaya about the surgery. Beltran also spoke with Minaya,
according to Boras.

I suppose there could be some other level of consent that is technically required here, but if what Boras said is true, the Mets can’t honestly claim that they didn’t know what was going on, can they?

1. Drew - Jan 14, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Looks like the Mets are saying very nearly the opposite of what Boras had to say on the issue. Boras may be a bit on the sleazy side, but really, compared to the front office in Flushing, you’ve got to figure Boras is the trustworthy one here.
    It’s so hard to root for this team.

2. ecp - Jan 14, 2010 at 3:27 PM

I said before that I figured Boras had his fingers in this – guess I hit that nail on the head.

3. Old Gator - Jan 14, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Better have some smelling salts handy. Some people are not going to handle well the shock of discovering that the Mets might not have known what was going on.

4. Los Mets - Jan 14, 2010 at 4:56 PM

I ‘m gonna cut my toe nails now and didn’t ask Los Mets, Boras, Omar or Mr. Met for that matter for permission. I did speak with
    Doogie Howser and he gave his blessing.

5. XTrust_No1X - Jan 14, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Flushiiiiinnnnngggggg troubles down the drain!!! Hahaha Do ya hear that? That’s the sound of another losing season in Queens with the season getting flushed out to Jason Flushing Bay!!! Hahaha!!!

6. Moses Green - Jan 14, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Awww gosh dad, I’d rather have you mad with me than “disappointed.” Jeeeeeez, don’t look at me like that. I’ll never let you down with another non-elective surgery you couldn’t botch. I’m soooo sorry.

7. Joey B - Jan 14, 2010 at 8:53 PM

“Boras may be a bit on the sleazy side, but really, compared to the front office in Flushing, you’ve got to figure Boras is the trustworthy one here.”
    Boras is really good at what he does. It would be unusual for him to not know what’s going on with his people.
    What’s funny is that he probably has 50 clients, and knows what each of them are eating for lunch. The NYMs have 5 key players, and they are unable to communicate with a guy down the hall about one of their key players.
    You sometimes get the feeling that no one is in the office at Shea.

8. im back - Jan 14, 2010 at 10:44 PM

betran did right by having the surgury. if he had waited the mess would have face the same thing like last year and that is having betran out during the part of the season when we really need him. what the mets want having him back late april or having him wait on the approval and have him have surgury late and be out until june.

9. willmose - Jan 14, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Beltran will be available for spring training 2011. He may play again after the all-star break this year, but the Mets will have to shut him down by September, not that it will matter as there is no chance the Mets will have play any meaningful games in September. Beltran was just a very bad signing. Munching 18.5 million a year goes better with bottle of strong whiskey. I’m not sure that Mets can complete with Nats in the NL East.

10. SEO - Jan 17, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Good Post. I’m looking forward to your next piece

11. jake - Jan 19, 2010 at 11:47 AM

It’s pretty obvious that Boras doesn’t trust the Mets medical staff. Why would he? Look at the list of recent medical blunders by the medical staff. Delgado, Reyes, Maine, etc…. I’m glad Carlos got taken care of outside the organization. If Dr. Steadman says he’ll be ready in May I’ll take that. If the Mets were involved, Carlos would have a replase in May and season ending corrective surgery in June.

12. jake - Jan 19, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Just a follow up Willmose…. Beltran was a GREAT signing. Name the three best center fielders in the National league and look at the numbers. For that matter look at the all of MLB.. He’s been a stud.

13. BennyN - Jan 19, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Lay off the hate Willmose. This is the same team that was in a playoff race in 07 and 08. And when healthy, they havnt gotten worse.
    Beltran was not a bad signing. He had great years from 06-08. Injuries are a part of the game. Hoepfully he’s back quick.

14. Fast Eddy - Jan 19, 2010 at 3:07 PM

This is a major reason that Omar has to go. He seems to be fooled very easily. I don’t blame Boras or Beltran. If they can make the deal, why not? It is up to Omar and management to protect the Mets from being fooled like this. This guy will be worthless for a good part of next season, but collecting a nice salary.

15. Tyson Gautreaux - Jan 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Oh jesus you will not belief that. This stupid cat simply farted on my arm!? I mean what is the matter with this!? I feed this thing and I receive this in return. I still can not belief this. Anyway, you hold several helpful information there in your posting. I knew Yahoo could bring me to a few interesting stuff today :). Ok should hunt this creature now! Have a great time you all!

16. Dan Hubbel - Feb 6, 2010 at 7:56 AM

To commercialise in terms of high-performance rather than cost, and in order to specialize accordingly, you want to pursue the classical format of the 4 Ps marketing plan. That is, Price, Product, Place and Promotion evidently you recognise the essential attributes of the product, and the price, but for place you should think about the type of mass who are willing to give over 4x price of competing merchandise whereas the commercial option may be sold where emphasis is on cost, your ware will be suited to places/distributors where the customers will be willing to pay for quality. Thank you for this article! I’ve just learned a easily surprising source about how to get rich Try it!

17. Chandra Oechsle - Feb 6, 2010 at 1:39 PM

To market in footings of high-performance rather than price, and in order to specialise consequently, you need to follow the common format of the 4 Ps marketing plan. That is, Price, Product, Place and Promotion manifestly you recognize the bad attributes of the product, and the cost, but for place you should think around the type of mass who are willing to give over 4x price of competing merchandise whereas the commercial option may be sold where emphasis is on cost, your product will be suited to places/distributors where the customers will be willing to pay for quality. Thank you for this article! I’ve just observed a easily wonderful blog about money Taste it!

18. Echo Vallee - Feb 6, 2010 at 6:27 PM

I would suggest making mental object commercialise, let me explicate. You can get a video recording professionally made for more or less $47.00 97.00 (30-60 seconds) rendering your splendid desk drawer slide. You can even show how easy it is to destroy your contenders and blast it around over 100 internet video sites for as little as $5.00 per site to be done manualy!You can get keyword search done for you professionally, naming the keyword words that will get you a nice amount of search volum, yes with poorer competing pages. Thank you for this article! I’ve just came up a certainly unbelievable news about panda marketing Taste it!

19. DUNCAN CUMMINGS - Feb 14, 2010 at 2:26 PM

The site was awesome. This article was very informative.I am indebted for this information.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester