Jan 14, 2010, 12:30 PM EST
If you wondered what the famously overage star of the 2001 Little League World Series is up to, the New York Daily News is your huckleberry.
The story is mostly about the high school team he’s helping coach now, but this line sticks out: “Despite putting up impressive numbers the past two seasons at Western Oklahoma College, Almonte wasn’t drafted, in part because of his inglorious history.”
Anyone think for a moment that if Almonte was a legitimate prospect that a team would pass him by simply because he pulled the wool over some people’s eyes back at the Little League World Series a decade ago? I sure don’t.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (109)