Fighting over medical decisions is not new for Beltran

Jan 14, 2010, 9:30 AM EST

In light of the heavy criticism the Mets medical staff received last year, it’s tempting to blame the current dustup over Carlos Beltran’s knee surgery on the team and to cast Beltran as the good guy. That’s certainly the prevailing thinking in the blogosphere this morning.

Now, we obviously don’t know everything that has happened here, but maybe, just maybe, the Mets are entitled to some benefit of the doubt.  Why? Because this is not the first time Beltran has gone rogue on his team’s medical staff:

The players’ association filed a grievance Friday to block the Kansas City Royals’ suspension of AL Rookie of the Year Carlos Beltran.

Beltran was suspended without pay Thursday for refusing to report to
the team’s Florida training complex for rehabilitation. The Royals said
the suspension would last for 30 days or until he reports, whichever is
shorter.

Granted, that was when Beltran was with the Royals, and the Royals’ medical staff has taken just
as much heat as the Mets
, so I suppose we still can’t know for sure.

Still, I don’t know of any other player that has had two high-profile disputes with his team over medical treatment, so we can’t really eliminate the possibility that it’s Beltran, and not the Mets, that is the problem here.

1. Moses Green - Jan 14, 2010 at 9:35 AM

If I were Carlos Beltran, I wouldn’t rely on any employees of the Royals or Mets organizations either. I congratulate Mr. Beltran for his keen instincts and ability to thwart those who could pose an imminent threat to his health and well-being.

2. Ross - Jan 14, 2010 at 9:48 AM

I have come to equate the Mets medical staff with the lyrics from Comfortably Numb. Yes, Beltran may have a history of this, but in this case I’d have a hard time blaming him.

3. Joe E - Jan 14, 2010 at 10:15 AM

The Mets’ medical staff mishandled Beltran last year. They gave him a cortisone shot and told him to continue playing because he only had a bruise. It later came out that he had a microfracture and missed 81 games. I can’t blame him for not relying on them (even though they may be excellent physicians, he was not handled properly by the staff).

4. Ed in Westchester - Jan 14, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Beltran did not have a microfracture.
    The injury is a bone bruise, and also osteoarthritis. The way to fix it is through a procedure called “microfracture” surgery. Tiny “fractures” are created, with the hope that more cartlige will “grow”. The surgery has helped some basketball players, and not helped others.

5. marte - Jan 14, 2010 at 10:51 AM

why carlos beltran wait so long to have surgery done ..he is one of the respnsable for the ny mets collapse ..something is not clear with the mets team.some day ..somebody gone explain to the mets fan.to many engery .very extrange.this is something has to be investigated.the fan pay.but the players has to justify the salary.the not are playing for free.i hope carlo beltran doesn’t get way this time.not only beltran jose reyes,carlos delgado among the orthers player.the nyc can be wasting the money that way.the all need a full investigation.evry last season player who player for the ny mets..has to be investigate to find out what happened..

6. CommonNow - Jan 14, 2010 at 10:51 AM

None of the commenters here have ANY idea what the Mets Medical staff has or hasn’t done in the past – so let’s take that out of the equation.
    That said it is Beltran’s body and his health. No person or organization takes precedence/control of that. His duty is to notify the staff – which apparently he did. Too bad for the Mets if they don’t like it.

7. Big Bird - Jan 14, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Ed, I have a bruise on my butt, can u take a look at it for me??
    Thanks

8. 1-800-LAWYERS - Jan 14, 2010 at 11:02 AM

My friend, you could not be more wrong, maybe you should read the Contract Language and what is required of BOTH PARTIES.This is not a Matlock one hour drama show, THIS IS REAL STUFF!!
    Ay Caramba

9. no doogie howser here - Jan 14, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Marte, the man was working out for the 2010 season and began to experience pain, the knee will be forever Arthrytic and he had to have it cleaned out.I’am not a doctor and I don’t play one on TV
    either.

10. Steve NY - Jan 14, 2010 at 11:44 AM

This is just one more example of incompetent management.
    How can you hang your star player out to dry. How can you let this go for so long that it affects the coming season?
    Someone should be fired for this and his initials are OM…

11. Bernie - Jan 14, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Let’s see, Beltran, Delgato, Reyes. Have I left anyone out? Met management and medical staff have consistently risked the players careers for attempted short term gain. What they may have done is ruined all 3 players.

12. Martin - Jan 14, 2010 at 12:18 PM

The Mets training staff remind me of the Gang That Could Not Shoot Straight. They are so fully discredited and inept. Why would anyone want to consult them?
    Ray Ramirez, a pretender trainer ought to find the exit door and leave. In my opinion he, more than anyone else, was responsible for the injuries the team suffered the past two years.

13. Benny Blanco - Jan 14, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Ruined all 3 players? Injuries happen in sports Bernie, in case you werent aware.
    Met Managment did the same any other would do, try to ge there players back on the field. Delagado’s injuries are that of a guy getting older, and stopped playing as soon as the injury began.

14. ecp - Jan 14, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I wonder if Scott Boras meddled in this. He has directed his clients to rehab according to his orders rather than according to club direction before.
    The story with Beltran and the Royals wasn’t medical or related to how they wanted him to rehab, but that he viewed them asking him to go to Arizona for it as a demotion to the minor leagues. They wanted him to work out with their rookie ball team there and he balked, thinking he was being sent down.

15. Marc Silvi - Jan 17, 2010 at 2:13 AM

Thanks very much for putting together this great site.

16. Hipolito Wiseman - Jan 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM

What the… you will not belief this. Our mindless cat simply just farted on my knee!? I mean what’s the matter with this!? I feed this thing and I receive that in return. I still will not belief this. After all, you hold a few interesting info there in your article. I knew Google could take me to a few unique stuff today :). O . k . have to hunt that creature now! Have a great day you all!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5008)