Jan 14, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
In light of the heavy criticism the Mets medical staff received last year, it’s tempting to blame the current dustup over Carlos Beltran’s knee surgery on the team and to cast Beltran as the good guy. That’s certainly the prevailing thinking in the blogosphere this morning.
Now, we obviously don’t know everything that has happened here, but maybe, just maybe, the Mets are entitled to some benefit of the doubt. Why? Because this is not the first time Beltran has gone rogue on his team’s medical staff:
The players’ association filed a grievance Friday to block the Kansas City Royals’ suspension of AL Rookie of the Year Carlos Beltran.
Beltran was suspended without pay Thursday for refusing to report to
the team’s Florida training complex for rehabilitation. The Royals said
the suspension would last for 30 days or until he reports, whichever is
Granted, that was when Beltran was with the Royals, and the Royals’ medical staff has taken just
as much heat as the Mets, so I suppose we still can’t know for sure.
Still, I don’t know of any other player that has had two high-profile disputes with his team over medical treatment, so we can’t really eliminate the possibility that it’s Beltran, and not the Mets, that is the problem here.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 49
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)