Jan 14, 2010, 4:27 PM EST
Of course, Torre is only under contract through 2010. If the team implodes or if it goes broke and gets mired in McCourt nonsense, isn’t it possible that they’ll say thanks-but-no-thanks to a manager making $4 million or more for an additional year?
UPDATE: You know, Joe Girardi is a lame duck himself. I hereby start the “Torre back to the Bronx” rumors. If enough people talk about this, even to dismiss the idea, eventually it will get elevated to the status of legitimate rumor. That’s how this works, you see.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (227)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)