Joe Torre: 2011 will definitely be my final year

Jan 14, 2010, 4:27 PM EST

At least that’s what USA Today’s Bob Nightengale says he says.

Of course, Torre is only under contract through 2010. If the team implodes or if it goes broke and gets mired in McCourt nonsense, isn’t it possible that they’ll say thanks-but-no-thanks to a manager making $4 million or more for an additional year?

UPDATE:  You know, Joe Girardi is a lame duck himself. I hereby start the “Torre back to the Bronx” rumors.  If enough people talk about this, even to dismiss the idea, eventually it will get elevated to the status of legitimate rumor. That’s how this works, you see.

1. Moses Green - Jan 14, 2010 at 4:29 PM

That’s going to be too late for poor Ronald Bellisario.

2. 2cents - Jan 14, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Maybe JT is laying the ground work to go back to the Yankees. JG is done in 2010 I beleive so…? JT probably enjoyed So Cal but he’s a New York guy. Wouldn’t surprise me. Can’t see JT sitting at home or going back to ESPN or whoever he was with. Just a thought. Can’t see him going to the Braves after Bobby Cox goes home…thoughts?

3. Rays fan - Jan 14, 2010 at 6:10 PM

As I recall, Torre’s departure from the Bronx wasn’t exactly friendly although that never kept Billy Martin from coming back. First thing that has to happen though is for age to catch up with the Yanks and cause enough injuries to keep them out of the playoffs so that Hank Steinbrenner goes looking for a scapegoat in Joe Girardi.

4. bobmac - Jan 15, 2010 at 6:10 AM

The Yankees have a manager who just won the World Series and is valued by the front office.There in no need to bring back a self involved destroyer of pitchers manager that Torre became at the end of his stay in NY.He’s all yours,LA.

5. Moses Green - Jan 15, 2010 at 10:02 AM

- I heard Joe Torre might be coming back to the Bronx
    – When you hear that?
    – Last night.
    – Who said it?
    – Well I did, but I was listening at the time. So I heard it.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5016)