Jan 14, 2010, 5:27 PM EDT
Yahoo!’s Tim Brown reports that Jose Valverde has reached a two-year agreement with the Tigers. It’s for $14 million, with an option for a third year. I’m a bit surprised that a deal like that was signed this late in the hot stove season.
Indeed, from Valverde’s perspective, this is the best deal any closer has got this offseason. Mike Gonzalez got two years, $12 million. Billy Wagner got one year, $7 million. Fernando Rodney got two years, $11 million. Brandon Lyon got three years, $15 million.
But the real winner in this deal is not Valverde, however. It’s the Astros, who get the Tiger’s first round pick and a supplemental first rounder (query: does simply printing draft picks like Weimar Germany lead to inflation? And does comparing supplemental picks to Weimar Germany mean that someone is Hitler here? I gotta be careful with that lest I turn into a hypocrite).
Anyway, maybe the picks aren’t that much, but it’s better than anything else they’ve done this offseason.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (89)