Jan 14, 2010, 5:27 PM EDT
Yahoo!’s Tim Brown reports that Jose Valverde has reached a two-year agreement with the Tigers. It’s for $14 million, with an option for a third year. I’m a bit surprised that a deal like that was signed this late in the hot stove season.
Indeed, from Valverde’s perspective, this is the best deal any closer has got this offseason. Mike Gonzalez got two years, $12 million. Billy Wagner got one year, $7 million. Fernando Rodney got two years, $11 million. Brandon Lyon got three years, $15 million.
But the real winner in this deal is not Valverde, however. It’s the Astros, who get the Tiger’s first round pick and a supplemental first rounder (query: does simply printing draft picks like Weimar Germany lead to inflation? And does comparing supplemental picks to Weimar Germany mean that someone is Hitler here? I gotta be careful with that lest I turn into a hypocrite).
Anyway, maybe the picks aren’t that much, but it’s better than anything else they’ve done this offseason.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)