Josh Johnson signs with the Marlins; four years, $39 million

Jan 14, 2010, 6:42 PM EDT

That gun the union put to the Marlins’ head has paid quick dividends for Josh Johnson, who just had his arbitration and two years of free agency bought out by Florida, to the tune of four years, $39 million.

Johnson turns 26 later this month.  He was 15-5 with a 3.23 ERA, 1.16
WHIP and 191/58 K/BB ratio in 33 starts with the Marlins last season. He’s a keeper.

This is how it’s supposed to work, Marlins fans. Welcome to the land of the living.

1. Rays fan - Jan 14, 2010 at 6:52 PM

…and here I thought the Marlins were going to join up with the Royals and Pirates to start “AAAA” baseball!

2. The Rabbit - Jan 14, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Old Gator must be languishing in an ICU somewhere after suffering an acute MI upon reading that the Marlins actually spent the money. I wish him a speedy recovery.

3. Moses Green - Jan 14, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Ummmm… Feesh …. Macondo ….. Loria’s lapdog
    Crap, I just don’t have the hang of it yet.
    Gator
    Gator
    Gator

4. Old Gator - Jan 14, 2010 at 9:35 PM

I wouldn’t be even a little surprised if they now turned around and traded Johnson to the Mariners in return for another bushel basket full of EYPs. Sorry, you know how it is. A burned child flees the fire and all that.
    And he’s going to have Uggla at second, from the looks of it. I’m glad we can still count on his strikeouts to keep us out of double plays, but let’s face it, when it comes to catching up with a ground ball, Wally Backman he ain’t.
    Look, I don’t want to sound like I’m unhappy about keeping Josh. I am thrilled, assuming we actually do keep him. What would the Borg pay a free agent with Josh’s numbers? $9.6 million per year for 15-5 wouldn’t make them flinch, not even under their current enlightened Romulan regime. Hell, they might even agree to pay the Feesh $2.5 million a year extra towards Josh’s salary. You see Loria saying “no” to that? Gun to his head? Remember what Jack Benny said when they put a gun to his head and said “your money or your life?” Right. He said “gimme a minute to think about it.” And Jeffrey Loria makes Jack Benny look like Prince Johannes Thurn und Taxis.
    Now assuming we do keep him, we need a bullpen. Badly. The spirit of Kevin Gregg is still rattling its chains out there. This Union gun to their heads came a little too late to grab any of the better relievers out there, and the minors are littered with EYPs who the team will still be tempted to rush into service on the front lines and whose confidence they will trash as they have done to Andrew Miller. I hope Josh is ready to pitch into the eighth inning every start or his stats are going to look a lot less rosy than they did last year. We have to pray that Anibal Sanchez returns to anything like his rookie form, which doesn’t do me shitsworth of good because I’m a Buddhist. Will Rick Vanden Hurk finally find his form this year?
    And who else do we have, anyway? I’ve been peeping through my fingers at what the Feesh have been up to for the last two years and have this vague impression of our best players being carried away like Ahab on Moby Dick’s back – ah, see, they beckon!
    We have guys playing out of position all over the place, conversion jobs Loria must have been inspired to undertake after seeing what the Israeli Air Force did with their F-4s. Problem is, the Israelis spent the United Jewish Appeal revenue sharing funds on those planes, Jeffrey. Having the surname of a great Kabbalist hasn’t exactly instilled you with any of his magnanimity of spirit, only his agoraphobia. You probably should have been named Jeffrey Shabbatai Zvi. Are we now to believe that he will go out and find us a third baseman to play third base, a first baseman to play first base, and left and right fielders who know how to play left and right field instead of…first and third base? At the moment it looks to me like we have DHs playing everything but pitcher and catcher and if the Feesh try to pick up Rick Ankiel at bargain basement prices (or if the Union starts shooting at the floor at Loria’s feet to make him cough up something fatter) we’ll have a pitcher more or less in the outfield and only have a catcher playing catcher. So far.

5. GimmeSomeSteel - Jan 15, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Great stuff as usual, Gator, plus the first Shabbatai Zvi reference I can recall ever in a baseball blog.
    One quibble–I wouldn’t call Hanley Ramirez a DH playing SS. He’s the real deal all the way.

6. Old Gator - Jan 15, 2010 at 12:48 AM

Handfullagimme: yeah, I started out in that post determined to work around Hanley “The Franchise” Ramirez (and having called him that, let’s not forget that Burger King is a franchise too), and I didn’t mention shortstop deliberately because of that. On the other hand, when he first came up he had hands of pig iron. I have a lawyer acquaintence (free tickets to the next Grateful Dead concert to anyone who picks up the Tennesse Williams reference) with whom I used to go to Feesh games before I began starving myself in protest last year. We used to sit and groan at how little Hanley would turn routine outs into epic adventures with tragic endings. Ever hear a lawyer groan without kicking him in the balls? I didn’t think so; it almost engenders sympathy. But Hanley has definitely come to terms with his inherent adequacy as a shortstop. Uggla, now…he still pivots with a wobble like a gyroscope with shot bearings.
    As far as Shabbatai Zvi, stay tuned. I took a seminar with Gershom Scholem in the mid-70s when he was a visiting professor at Colombia and giving a lecture series at Hebrew Union College. I then spent the better part of a summer reading his incredible bio of the apostate messiah. Amazing stuff. It’s a short hop from there to Pavic’s Dictionary of the Khazars, and from there to any number of antipsychotic drugs. Anyway, I’ll have Rumi up next, but for the moment he appears to have gotten wedged in the cartridge. Sarah Palin, incidentally, joined FOX on the first day of Be Kind to Raving Mystics Week.

7. Pepe - Jan 15, 2010 at 1:48 AM

I know you are joking and they deserve it.
    The Marlins front office, I mean.
    Seriously, the players are really good,
    all of them.

8. Richard Dansky - Jan 15, 2010 at 8:33 AM

To be fair, if he really were Shabbatai Zvi, he would have converted the Marlins into a soccer side, while a few faraway die-hards continued to insist that no, the team had gone undercover in order to scout the best baseball players trapped making corner kicks and suchlike.

9. Moses Green - Jan 15, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Truly, we are not worthy. But you already know this, and it hasn’t stopped you yet. All praises to Gautama.

10. Old Gator - Jan 15, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Can’t help it. Gautama betrayed us and took the best offer he could get, but I have taken a bodhisattva vow not to enter paradise until the astroturf itself is enlightened.

11. Old Gator - Jan 15, 2010 at 9:30 AM

And how would you like to be standing at third base, down one run with two outs in the bottom of the fifteenth with the entire bench used up and Matt Treanor coming to the plate?
    Yeah, I know he’s gone, but really, it’s the principle of the thing.

12. Kenneth Smuin - Jan 24, 2010 at 3:17 AM

Aw, this was a really quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and never seem to get something done.

13. Alfonso Doubleday - Jan 24, 2010 at 9:22 AM

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.

14. Ziya Fortunato - Jan 27, 2010 at 12:24 AM

I was studying something else about this on another blog. Interesting. Your linear perspective on it is diametrically contradicted to what I read to begin with. I am still mulling over the different points of view, but I’m tipped heavily toward yours. And no matter, that’s what is so good about modern-day democracy and the marketplace of ideas online.

15. Ceallach Fólki - Jan 27, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Hey I just wanted to let you know, I actually like the writing on your site. But I am using Chromium on a machine running version 8.x of Ubuntu and the UI aren’t quite kosh er. Not a strong deal, I can still fundamentally read the articles and search for info, but just wanted to inform you about that. The navigation bar is kind of difficult to use with the config I’m running. Keep up the great work!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3117)