Mets officially deemed not sponge-worthy

Jan 14, 2010, 8:00 PM EDT

Yesterday, in the wake of Carlos Beltran’s surgery spat with his team, I wondered what else could go wrong for the Mets?

I shouldn’t have asked, because today I saw this story in the New York Daily News:

The Mets are suing a major advertiser they claim bounced $400,000 in checks.

The Mets want the company, SpongeTech (apparently Chico’s Bail Bonds turned them down), to pay $2.3 million for the remaining two years of a Citi Field ad contract. Good luck with that.

Curious, I put CTB’s research team to work tracking down any available information on this company. I found out that SpongeTech apparently makes soapy, spongy products you can use to clean various items around your house, such as bathtubs, automobiles and children. They even make something called Uncle Norman’s Pet Sponge, which comes with “42 special massage bumps.” Sounds nice, but apparently all the massage bumps in the world won’t pay the bills.

So now that the Mets have officially been deemed not sponge-worthy, I must ask what else could go wr… oh never mind. I don’t want to know.

1. Moses Green - Jan 14, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Hopefully they can work something out where they can accept payment in crabby patties.

2. APBA Guy - Jan 15, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Best headline of the day.

3. Old Gator - Jan 15, 2010 at 1:00 AM

See, I’m at a loss because after listening to my four year old granddaughter telling me for months that I would like Sponge Bob because he was intelligent and sophisticated, I tuned in one afternoon with a Budweiser in one hand and a bowl of generic Publix pretzels in my lap and sat back to pick my nose and educate myself. I dozed off five minutes into the commercials and was carried away by elves. Ergo, I have no idea what a Crabby Patty is, except that I think I dated one once. Thank Buddha for Ripple on one hand and rotenone dust on the other.
    It’s great to see the Mutts get hosed…er…sponged. Imagine how many broken-down middle relief pitchers they could score in the Rule Five Draft with $400,000.
    Come to think of it, Rule Five Draft would make a great name for repackaged generic Budweiser at Joeprodolshark Stadium. What do you want to bet that all sixteen of the remaining Feesh fans would make a fetish of it?

4. Moses Green - Jan 15, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Rule Five Drafts! Genius. They can open a special beer concession called the 9-to-5 Hut, where they only serve Rule Five Drafts and Magic Hat Number Nines.

5. BC - Jan 15, 2010 at 10:23 AM

I think this would be more fitting:
    It certainly is feeling like the end of the world if a team worth a half a billion dollars is suing a company over what amounts to chump change for them. Maybe they could just contract my Mets and let the Jets take over Citi Field….?

6. Ryan - Jan 15, 2010 at 10:42 AM

When was the last time the Mets made a legitimately sound business decision? Not only do they sign the wrong free agents, they sign the wrong advertisers.

7. Moses Green - Jan 15, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Good point, but let’s not leave out the Wilpons’ investment savvy while we’re here.

8. Ryan - Jan 15, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Jesus, talk about missing the forest through all the trees. I totally forgot about that one. Maybe the Wilpons can get together with Hicks from Texas and start the executive All-fail team.

Three legends off to Cooperstown