Jan 14, 2010, 8:00 PM EDT
Yesterday, in the wake of Carlos Beltran’s surgery spat with his team, I wondered what else could go wrong for the Mets?
I shouldn’t have asked, because today I saw this story in the New York Daily News:
The Mets are suing a major advertiser they claim bounced $400,000 in checks.
The Mets want the company, SpongeTech (apparently Chico’s Bail Bonds turned them down), to pay $2.3 million for the remaining two years of a Citi Field ad contract. Good luck with that.
Curious, I put CTB’s research team to work tracking down any available information on this company. I found out that SpongeTech apparently makes soapy, spongy products you can use to clean various items around your house, such as bathtubs, automobiles and children. They even make something called Uncle Norman’s Pet Sponge, which comes with “42 special massage bumps.” Sounds nice, but apparently all the massage bumps in the world won’t pay the bills.
So now that the Mets have officially been deemed not sponge-worthy, I must ask what else could go wr… oh never mind. I don’t want to know.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)