Jan 14, 2010, 8:00 PM EDT
Yesterday, in the wake of Carlos Beltran’s surgery spat with his team, I wondered what else could go wrong for the Mets?
I shouldn’t have asked, because today I saw this story in the New York Daily News:
The Mets are suing a major advertiser they claim bounced $400,000 in checks.
The Mets want the company, SpongeTech (apparently Chico’s Bail Bonds turned them down), to pay $2.3 million for the remaining two years of a Citi Field ad contract. Good luck with that.
Curious, I put CTB’s research team to work tracking down any available information on this company. I found out that SpongeTech apparently makes soapy, spongy products you can use to clean various items around your house, such as bathtubs, automobiles and children. They even make something called Uncle Norman’s Pet Sponge, which comes with “42 special massage bumps.” Sounds nice, but apparently all the massage bumps in the world won’t pay the bills.
So now that the Mets have officially been deemed not sponge-worthy, I must ask what else could go wr… oh never mind. I don’t want to know.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 22
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)