Jan 14, 2010, 4:58 PM EST
In other Pirates news, Maury Brown reports that they’re giving Ryan Church the #18 jersey. Which used to be Andy Van Slyke’s number. I always liked Andy Van Slyke. I assume Pirates fans do too, even if the decision to keep him over Barry Bonds back in 1993 more or less began two decades in the wilderness for the club.
Not Van Slyke’s fault of course. But it’s not Def Leppard’s fault I got in that car wreck back in 1988 either, yet since “Hysteria” was in the tape deck at the time the Chevette started flipping, to this very day I can’t listen to “Rocket” while driving.
- Recapping the Winter Meetings and looking ahead to the rest of the offseason 0
- Could baseball return to Montreal? 33
- Report: Rockies nearing a multi-year deal with Boone Logan 4
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 29
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (134)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)