Jan 14, 2010, 4:58 PM EDT
In other Pirates news, Maury Brown reports that they’re giving Ryan Church the #18 jersey. Which used to be Andy Van Slyke’s number. I always liked Andy Van Slyke. I assume Pirates fans do too, even if the decision to keep him over Barry Bonds back in 1993 more or less began two decades in the wilderness for the club.
Not Van Slyke’s fault of course. But it’s not Def Leppard’s fault I got in that car wreck back in 1988 either, yet since “Hysteria” was in the tape deck at the time the Chevette started flipping, to this very day I can’t listen to “Rocket” while driving.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 53
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)