Selig pretends he just learned about McGwire's steroid use

Jan 14, 2010, 3:54 PM EST

Sports Business Daily caught up with Bud Selig at the owners’ meetings yesterday and got a couple of additional quotes from him about McGwire:

“My public statement, which I wrote over and over and over, says
exactly how I feel on the matter. I just don’t want to add to that. I
painstakingly went over it.” Selig added he drafted the statement while
watching the Packers-Cardinals playoff game Sunday night, and that he
knew about McGwire’s past with steroids “beforehand, but not by much.

Not by much? Those words you keep using; I do not think they mean what you think they mean:

Stejskal said federal authorities, through their undercover operation,
learned of McGwire’s steroid usage by 1993. A year later, Stejskal
recalled that he shared information from the investigation related to
baseball players with Major League Baseball’s then security boss, Kevin
Hallinan, though the sport had no drug testing program at the time.

Of course, when you’re as old as Selig is, I suppose 16 years goes by in the blink of an eye.

1. palehose67 - Jan 14, 2010 at 4:10 PM

2 days vs 16 years. Kind of being a nitpicky lawyer, aren’t ya, Craig?

2. Craig Calcaterra - Jan 14, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Yeah, I suppose I need to cut the guy some slack. Selig is, like 184 years old, so there’s virtually no difference to him. He’s like an elf in that way.

3. Moses Green - Jan 14, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Incontheivable!

4. Phil - Jan 14, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Sigh..when do pitchers and catchers report?

5. Bear - Jan 14, 2010 at 4:25 PM

So will anyone ever confront Selig, or Fehr, or any owner or GM over looking the other way? Why is Canseco the only former big leaguer to speak frankly?

6. Moses Green - Jan 14, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Jose had that most precious of commodities – freedom. Which of course is just another word for nothing left to lose.

7. Chuck - Jan 14, 2010 at 4:41 PM

“Why is Canseco the only former big leaguer to speak frankly?”
    To make money. And he’s vindictive over being blackballed.

8. Ryan - Jan 14, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Love the Sunny in Philly reference.

9. Luis - Jan 14, 2010 at 6:26 PM

What Sunny in Philly reference?
    There’s definitely a Princess Bride reference…maybe you’re confusing the two?
    I’ve only seen the show like twice, but still…I only really see one instance of allusion, and it’s definitely to The Princess Bride.

10. Rays fan - Jan 14, 2010 at 6:49 PM

This just in–the BBWAA’s HoF voters just found out that Mark McGwire used steroids. They never had a clue while sitting in the clubhouse with him in 1998. They’re morally outraged!

11. nyetjones - Jan 14, 2010 at 7:21 PM

There’s a rather overt “Me and Bobby McGee” reference up there, too.
    Of course, if you didn’t catch that, I guess it’s just like Pearl before Swine… :)

12. jwb - Jan 15, 2010 at 2:35 AM

There are rock formations near Madison which were tropical islands a long time ago. The span of a man’s life is the time it takes a swallow to fly through a barn. Sixteen years is merely the blink of an eye. It’s all about context.

13. Moses Green - Jan 15, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I want to laugh at that but I’m in too much pain … I had my Teeth All Out.

14. Luis - Jan 15, 2010 at 11:40 PM

To clarify…I hadn’t considered the comments section.
    Further, I’d hardly consider an easy Joplin reference much of a “pearl”…though your little play on her album title is clever, I have to admit.
    Odd…I suppose I’m feeling defensive today.

15. SEO - Jan 17, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Good Post. I’ll look forward to your next article

16. Lawerence Dodridge - Jan 24, 2010 at 3:17 AM

Hi buddy, your blog’s design is simple and clean and i like it. Your blog posts are superb. Please keep them coming. Greets!!!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2817)
  2. W. Myers (2571)
  3. D. Ross (2257)
  4. C. McGehee (2170)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2004)
  1. J. Shields (1921)